Songs currently kicking your ass.

... very few DM bands can incorporate symphony(an actual orchestra at that!) to their music and still sound this good.

Good call. I love the emotional thrust of their music; the beauty of its power. I've never been into brutality for brutality's sake, although I can see its appeal. For me, having that grandiose element of... I don't know... romanticism or something mixed in with the classical era themes (historically speaking) just creates something otherworldly and fantastic. A wonder and awe that must be akin to that felt by the contemporaneous beholders of the Hellenic world's most glorious artistic and architectural achievements.

You could also have posted 'A Great Mass of Death', which is my favourite from any of their releases, as well as 'Lovecraft's Death' which just... I mean... Lovecraft!! I get chills listening to these songs. A visceral as well as emotional response.

It's neat to see the taste of people here....makes sense how there is so much disagreement within the metal community about certain bands now that people post such wide variety of music.

When I was younger I was a thrash/death metal only guy. Now that I'm getting older (40's), my tastes in music have opened up to so many options its hard to fathom. I can see where the disagreements come from. It may be a matter of time and some of these arguments will be turned into "I can't believe I never gave (insert band here) a chance. This music is epic". It's funny how the music can change your mind and attitude over time.

Reactions: isberg
Have had the same happen to me. I desided to not limit myself when it comes to music. In my teens and forth i was black metal only(and the big ones as Slayer, Death etc) where there was a childish look upon other genres within and outside of the metal genre. As i got older i started respecting the diffrent genres for what they are and found loads of new music i had overlooked in the past. That said, i also understand why people stick to their genres. But alot of disagreements posted on this and other forums just makes me laugh. There still is something called "narrowminded".

Not to make this thread what its not, song kicking my lovely gentlemans buttocks.

I've been a fan of this band for a while but with this EP that's been out a while they released their best stuff easily. Like Circle of Ouroboros( who are a favourite of mine), their style incorporates elements of post punk and black metal. CoO release that many albums frequently that if I'm looking at distros and notice a new album I'll just buy it outright, they're damned inconsistent though but any fan of CoO knows that a great album from them or even an album with a handful of good songs is worth having and I would hate to miss a great CoO record(mostly vinyl release that sellout quick)these guys sound as though they've nailed their sound on this EP. It must be especially hard for a band like this that is not taking any safe routes at all as far as writing music that conforms to the elitist set BM formula of how it should sound. Nothing on this EP 'Abraxas Rising' sounds out of place or detracts from the songwriting. These 5 songs (and 2 outros) form a very enjoyable and as far as tempo and mood go varied whole.

Last edited: