Songs you dig to improve tightness

here I started I guess on 2003 or beginning of 2004. I was a guitar nerd only 1 year and a half, so I mostly improved there. I did a lot of metallica stuff and random other stuff. I'm 21 now, with 5 years of guitars.

When I see the progress I made those years and those I made since, I'm sad ! Now I play a lot better than 2 years ago but yet, if I had gone on that rythm, I would be able to quadtrack lines at the first try !

try playing anything by decapitated. even the stuff that sounds easy (spheres of madness) all of it is way intense.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (entire album), for some ridiculous downstroke rehearsals. Try to play with downstrokes as much as you can, especially Cold.

+1000000000000

love playing to that album... :kickass::kickass::kickass:

also, you guys make me feel like a total N00b... i'm 23 and i've been playing bass since '02...

wish i'd actually started younger... add to it the fact i've only played guitar properly for the last 4 years...

hay goddamn, same here summer of 95!!

Totally +1 on Slaughter of the soul, also:

Dark Tranquillity "The mind`s I" , play it all downstrokes.

Also playing Death help me alot.

Dude, Arch Enemy has a bad habit of taking influence from really really fucking lame songs - biggest case in point, the chorus of Instinct having a rhythm and progression frighteningly similar to "Lean on me"

METALTASTIC - YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THESE TWO AND COMPARE

song 1: arch enemy - burning angel = megadeth - hanger 18 - intro (almost the same)

song 2: but ok fair enough...but this is the most sickening and arch enemy im sorry to point this out but god its a direct rip - its directly obvious

1.35 arch enemy song :

i still think AE are the the greatest band to hit this planet (old arch enemy that is - before angela) theres just something there that nobody else has in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't recommend learning stuff from Decapitated's first album enough. That will get your rhythm playing VERY tight!

One of my favorites is "Esoteric Surgery" from the album The Way of All Flesh by Gojira.
What I generally do, instead of tuning down to D, I transpose it to play it on my 7 string (which is tuned the standard B E A D G B E) which means I have that riff that you hear at 40 seconds into the song on the low B string, and since that string is thicker I had to work a little harder to pull that riff off, but after wards when I got it down I really tightened up.

Not your usual suggestion, but playing certain Paramore songs has actually helped my tightness and has even shown where some deficiencies in my rhythm guitar ability lie, so proof not all pop rock is as easy as you believe and you do actually practice to keep your shit together.
There are lots of parts where there are chords played really quickly (stabbed playing almost, I guess) where you gotta mute the chord real quickly and clamp down with your picking hand real quick to prevent strings from ringing out, and I notice after a few weeks of playing Paramore I just became tighter as a player in general. In particular the song I've been playing is Fences from their album "Riot!".

Another fantastic one is Rage Against the Machine. Tom Morello is a fantastic rhythm guitarist and playing RATM improved my tightness 10 fold. Being able to keep things under control while being able to funk that hard is quite hard, believe it or not, so give it a go.

Want to improve tightness and endurance?
Meshuggah - Bleed :kickass:

For drums yeah, but it's not that hard on guitar once you learn the trick. The song is not played with downstrokes, as I originally though when I first heard it. It's basically just alternate 16th notes at 120 bpm, with one 32th note added here and there, which only needs a little practice because it's unusual on a guitar (on drums, it's LLR L RRL R (heel-toe) according to Tomas). After that, it's quite simple and mostly just about remembering the structure.

Code:
      DUD U DUD U DUD U DUD U        DUD U DUD U DUD U DUD U DUD U DUD

A#: |-000-0-000-0-000-0-000-0-
F#: |------------------------- ... --555-5-555b6-666-6-666b7-777-7-777-

(bend upwards slowly from 5 to 7)

Edit:
Ehe, I meant DUD U for the guitar :lol:

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider/Burnt Offerings. It have fucked guitar rhythms. But if you want something really difficult, well I have to say impossible ate least to me. Try anything from Necrophagist.

Learn some Sikth (especially songs from the Death of a Dead Day -album) and every aspect of your playing will improve.

At The Gates is great and tons of fun. Also anything from AJFA is absolutely killer for developing rythm chops.

One thing I do alot though is to just write my own songs containing elements that I feel I need to practice. That can get your creativity going as well.