Songwriting Competition (Guitar and Bass)

Don't consider me a contestant yet. I use my friend's stuff to record and thus have to adhere to his schedule, meaning I'm lucky if I get 3 hours a week. When it's done, if we're still doing this I'll submit.

i say we do multiple rounds... one black metal, one death metal, one punk, one blues, ect. and who ever wins the most wins the contest. plus if we only had 1 round of free for all, we could just cheat and use previously written songs

i dont agree with that, some of us arent fans of death/black/blues etc and wouldnt have fun playing them. for example my song has more of a progressive feel to it. its better to have judges with a broader taste in music. also im sure some people dont have time to write more than one song

i dont agree with that, some of us arent fans of death/black/blues etc and wouldnt have fun playing them. for example my song has more of a progressive feel to it. its better to have judges with a broader taste in music. also im sure some people dont have time to write more than one song

however, to me, somebody who could write blues and death and whatever else is a better song writer as long as it's all good material. this is after all, a song writing contest

i say we do multiple rounds... one black metal, one death metal, one punk, one blues, ect. and who ever wins the most wins the contest. plus if we only had 1 round of free for all, we could just cheat and use previously written songs

I don't agree. I think the contest should be a free-for-all. If someone cheats, oh well. No big deal. You win the internet prize!! Congratulations!

Agreed. I certainly don't want to listen to a bunch of people who don't like black metal trying to write it.

however, to me, somebody who could write blues and death and whatever else is a better song writer as long as it's all good material. this is after all, a song writing contest

Not necessarily a better, just a more varied songwriter. Someone who can write a mediocre death metal song and a mediocre blues song is, in my opinion, a worse songwriter than someone that can write a fantastic death metal song, but can't write blues for shit.

Agreed. I certainly don't want to listen to a bunch of people who don't like black metal trying to write it.

it's not that hard to write a genre of music that you don't like, i've done it for shit's and giggles a bunch of times. oh well

does anybody know of a free drum machine download i can get that allows you to convert it to mp3? beatcraft won't let me

except for punk :lol:

i guess i can write a wide variety of genres because my old guitar teacher was a blues guy and so he taught me theory and all the funky blues techniques and i worked on metal. it actually influence how i write metal... i don't use bluesy notes however i'll use some of the odd timings

My guitar teacher also taught me blues and jazz. But I started getting into Metal and Ethnic music (mostly Chinese, and Middle Eastern). And I think knowing exotic scales and stuff helps me.

My guitar teacher also taught me blues and jazz. But I started getting into Metal and Ethnic music (mostly Chinese, and Middle Eastern). And I think knowing exotic scales and stuff helps me.

defanetly dude. if i don't have any idea's for riffs, i'll just hit random notes in the arabic scale until i find something good :loco:

def not true, if you dont like a genre you wont listen to it enough to throw in the little things that make the genre great

Not my submission, just making a point.

Eastern musics are :headbang:

I'm done writing my song, it's not that good but I did it in power tab, I am going to write it down in Guitar Pro and use the RSE thing.

Never mind, I'll just record it instead.