Sony: PSN Information Officially Compromised

amazing that no one has received any direct email from sony about this? I mean, I get a fucking email every week telling me about shit to check out and download but nothing about this ... not like I can even sign in and change my password or anything

guess I'm gonna have to get a new debit card

amazing that no one has received any direct email from sony about this? I mean, I get a fucking email every week telling me about shit to check out and download but nothing about this ... not like I can even sign in and change my password or anything

guess I'm gonna have to get a new debit card

They've also not officially acknowledged that any CC info was stolen besides billing addresses, but they've not denied any of it. Really handling this one quite shittily, front to back!

wow and I came so close to buying something off of the PSN like 2 weeks ago. haha, glad I didn't. Sucks for those that had their CC info on there. :-\

I spend more of my time on xbl and only ever buy the prepaid cards since I've always been skeptical about someone accessing my CC info.

Fuck, now I'm wondering if I should cancel my credit card -_-

I would.

Users should be smart enough to use different passwords for things, especially when your e-mail is your identifier for the service, but easier said than done for the typical user I suppose

A Class Action lawsuit has been filed.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html

I can't imagine Sony not losing this case. Storing a database of 77 million users' passwords and CC #s in plaintext... wow. If they spent less time bringing lawsuits to hackers and more time listening to some of them tell them how their system is flawed, maybe this could have been avoided. ..or if just one person would have thought, "hmm.. maybe we should encrypt these properly"

I would.

Users should be smart enough to use different passwords for things, especially when your e-mail is your identifier for the service, but easier said than done for the typical user I suppose

A Class Action lawsuit has been filed.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html

I can't imagine Sony not losing this case. Storing a database of 77 million users' passwords and CC #s in plaintext... wow. If they spent less time bringing lawsuits to hackers and more time listening to some of them tell them how their system is flawed, maybe this could have been avoided. ..or if just one person would have thought, "hmm.. maybe we should encrypt these properly"

Yeah I just called to change my credit card, and even though I just said ''because the website I used to use it has been hacked'' , they knew it was about PSN...they must get tons of calls these days.

I'm not sure what the details are yet, but I'd assume that as a PSN member you are automatically a member of the class action lawsuit, since everyone was affected. I'm no legal expert at all. You could imagine though how much the settlement or judgement would have to be for in order for you to get any reparation from it, assuming 77 million people would be involved.

This article throws numbers out there: http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/27/t...tion-network-outage-24-billion-or-20-million/

$24 Billion in losses for Sony over this?! wow, if thats even close to being the case and its all because they didn't properly encrypt user info...

I have a PSN, but I don't think I stored a credit card. I made a purchase from their Rock Band store. Does that mean I'm fucked? :\

I have a PSN, but I don't think I stored a credit card. I made a purchase from their Rock Band store. Does that mean I'm fucked? :

That's where I'm at. I'm going to be safe and change my credit card anyhow. It's a lesser hassle than being out money or having to fight a bank/credit card company over fraud charges.

There are other things I wonder about too: I use Netflix on my PS3 and I know you only log in once, so are those compromised too? It might be the case that you log-in once for verification and then a unique ID is stored to "link" a netflix account to that specific PS3. But the same principle would apply to people who link Facebook or any other service to their PS3. Hopefully that stuff is only stored locally and sent encrypted using SSL to verify credentials. Someone sliding movies around in your queue in Netflix isn't a problem, but if any of those passwords are used on any other account where e-mail is used as a user ID (Facebook, Netflix, E-mail, etc.) you could have more problems. I just can't assume they did anything the intelligent way after this was able to happen.

The good news: Take a day to change passwords and credit card info (maybe change e-mail if spam becomes a huge issue, hopefully not), enjoy the six-pack you buy with the lawsuit money years from now, and all that really leaked was stuff that could be found in the phone book. Hopefully this at least gets people thinking about security and privacy with today's technology.

microsoft had exactly the same with xbox live in 2008.
with every(!) online gaming service this is 100% sure to happen once.
i have have a fake address and shit registered on my account, so I don't care about this, allready knew from the beginning this was going to happen once.
nothing is impossible to hack, unless you put the price of a death penalty on it.
chinese hackers will certainly be able to hack there "golden firewall" that blocks their country from the world, but they won't because they know it will get them killed.