|SORCERER - War Sower| - what do you think about the mix?

KelThuz

Thuz
Nov 22, 2005
Poland
sorcerer.metal.pl
Here are three songs from Polish powermetal band Sorcerer's latest demo/promo.

1. War Sower
2. Overcoming
3. Discipline of Blood (second part of the Great Husaryan Trilogy)

It was recorded in a home/project studio, while the drums in Hertz Studio (the best Polish metal studio, or at least the most popular :) ), but triggered except snare, so we used Andy's kick sound in the final mix. The guitar was recorded using a custom-built tube/solid amp and a Marshall cab. Only one mic track was used for each guitar part. Rhythm guitars were of course doubled, solos at some parts too.
The first track is not the final master, but a preliminary one, so it differs from the rest.

We will greatly welcome the experts' feedback on this production :).

Well...
compression is good thing for a bass guitar ;)

the guitars need more presence, or something like it......

is the vocalist using shity mic?

and cutting (EQ) is really good thing on drum tracks.

argh, and use some kind of multiband for the lows...

did you listen to War Sower only or the rest as well? because the two other songs are after a complete mastering and sound definitely better

ReliXKeepeR said:
Well...
compression is good thing for a bass guitar ;)

it's been run with a POD in the final mix, but I wasn't supervising it. At least cuts through well than before PODding

the guitars need more presence, or something like it......

I guess the fault lays with the amp and guitar, as the engineer couldn't stick them guitars out more in the mix - it started to sound really shitty. A good lesson for the future ;>

is the vocalist using shity mic?

hell no! Maybe he's just a shitty vocalist :D I didn't want to have vocals too loud, because this voice tends to deafen the guitars. We based the proportions of vocals/guitars on last Nevermore album, but to compate Warrel with this guy is absurd ;)

and cutting (EQ) is really good thing on drum tracks.

what specifically? The cymbals sound too harsh? probably overused the exciter while preparing those mp3s :).

argh, and use some kind of multiband for the lows...

I keep getting a feeling there's too little lows :) In War Sower song the kick is definitely too loud, but in the others it was made quieter.

Well, in that case I'll check if I can improve this stuff on stereo tracks, as we cannot return to remixing it.