Soul Shroud - Melodic Death metal from NY USA

soulshroud

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2004
"Melodic Death Metal, similar to the early Gothenburg style with a distinct traditional metal influence"

The Official Soul Shroud web site
http://www.soulshroud.com

Band Lineup:
Paul Mallory: Guitars
George Woodin: Guitars
Mike Poplees: Bass
Frank Vaturina: Drums
Ben Cossa: Vocals

To be honest, I was kinda turned off by the fact that you mentioned the gothenburg sound because I think that has been over done and copied to much but after listening I'm impressed. You sound great man. Great riffs and killer lead. I very much enjoyed.

Damn fine metal you made there man. I'll tell you what this is interesting enough not even to need vocals (not that they'd take away from it.)

Make the damn album already! :headbang:

Hey man--i like what you're doing--that shit sounds cool as hell. Check out my band if you get some time man--maybe our bands could play a show together some time in the future. We have quite a few songs, but only 3 are being put up for people to hear on our site, and right now only a rough version of one of them is up--crappy recording quality, cuz originally we just made it quick just for our bassist (who was new at the time) to practice with. Anyway, check us out. We're looking to hopefully do more shows real soon (just played at the Jaxx here in VA recently, and we're prolly gonna do a Halloween show :) ).

Track 8 - After starting off with a fairly uninspiring intro it turned out to be a damn good song. I wouldn't consider it quite as good as your other tracks for one reason, it gets a little bogged down and repetative in a few sections. I figure this song was more geared toward having a singer which would definitely help this track. Still damn good though.

Terror Tactics - Much less to comment on here. If you produced an album composed of songs like this I'd sure as hell buy it. One thing that did get to me was that the singer seemed to lag just a bit in the beginning. By the end of the track he was on time. The low lyrics seemed a little thin when compared to the high pitched ones.

Top notch guitar harmonies and solos on both tracks.

(This is only a personal preference of mine... but I liked the higher pitch lyrics to the deeper ones. I think it comes from listening to too much CoB and In Flames)

Rock on guys! Keep us posted on any forthcoming albums you may put together. :hotjump:

I burned your 6 lyricless songs and started listening to it over and over for a few days. A few things became apparent. I think you need to make a few slower/acoustic? songs/intros and throw them in between. Just to break up the tempo a little... they started to blend into a each other because of how close they were tempowise. I also came to the conclusion that 5 and 6 were your best.

Oh... one last thing... I realise you guys aren't rollign around in state of the art studio time but the drums really lacked clarity and punch. The bass and guitars were excellent. (My car stereo system is infinitely better than anything else I own. That's why all of this coming out now.)

I'm not sure if you took what I said quite right. You guys are fast... there is only one riff you do I can even come close to emulating... as for your lead.... not a chance. I just thought it needs broken up a little bit to ward off the monotony. (I'm not calling it monotonous... I could see that looming though if you were to say... record 12 tracks like that back to back) I'd still buy the CD what ever you do with it. It's good shit.

As for the demo... Hell yeah. I'll try to spread a few copies (that I'll be making) around to the local metalheads. I know they'll crap their pants.

Hi guys!!
This sounds killer and your guitar playing kicks ass :headbang:
Any chance to hear something with vocals soon??

Check out my band if you like and keep me posted when you got anything new to hear.

Lars

Okay, I'm into Gothenburg since it was invented... Being European I always have a fine laugh when US bands tell they can play Gothenburg death metal. It seems like times are changing, because these days American bands CAN play melodic death metal (as well as black metal) on the same level as the European bands.

I've listened to the first two songs and they are quite good. It's more or less Gothenburg with an up tempo rock beat. Positively meant. Somehow it remembers me of the dead Canadian band Decadawn who was awesome. Both songs haven't got vocals, so I hope the vocalist will do a good job with a lot af variety and even more aggression. Soul Shroud has got potential. The music is very okay, the production isn't bad, yet not good enough for release.

Succes with the band guys!