Soulfly - Omen

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
What do you people think of Soulfly? I must admit I absolutely hated the early incarnations of Max's band but ever since Dark Ages, Max finally realised that he had to bring the metal back. I liked Conquer the previous album and now Omen is also great making a nice trilogy. I think the best thing about the band is guitarist Marc Rizzo. The guy seems to be a perfect foil for Max. He spice up the songs so well with little break riffs and adds much more melody to the songs. He brings the old school flavours and mixes it up so well with Max's punky hardcore edge making it very listenable and catchy. Max's delivery is also very much part of the appeal although the lyrics are as usual highly simple with Max as he doesn't like to get it too complicated. Some people still call Soulfly a crappy nu-metal band but I think those people are talking out of their arse myself! I also like the Cavalera Conspiracy disk too by the way. The last 3 Soulfly and CC disks are miles better than any Seps disk since Chaos AD IMO. What say you!

Soulfly is one of my favorite all time bands. So much so that I even have their logo tattooed on my back. To me the first two albums are their best. The first is actually a masterpiece IMO. You can feel the rage and sadness in the songwriting as Max was still mourning the death of his stepson Dana. I'm still not sold on the new album though, I have to give it a few more spins.