Soulfly

MixGrafix

Dulce Et Decorum Est
I have only heard a few songs from Soulfly, and consider myself a fan of Sepultura.

I saw Soulfly for the first time live the other night at the Machine Shop in Flint, and was completely blown away. One of my friends knows Marc Rizzo, the guitar player from Soulfly and we got a chance to see his free guitar clinic at Guitar Center before the show. Let me tell you, Marc is the next guitar hero, especially his flamenco riffs crossing with his heavy riffs. WOW!

The highlight of the night for me was meeting Dave Elleffson, the ex-Megadeth bassist who was filling in for the normal bass player because he had a stroke. I have been a fan of his since Killing is my Business, and what a great guy. Down to earth, cordial.... the consumate professional.

I also had the chane to meet Jada Pinkett Smith and the rest of the guys from Wicked Wisdom. They put on a hell of a show. Very impressed with the musicianship.... and as they say "this ain't no r&b shit".

I think that I have to buy the entire Soulfly collection. What is your opinion?

I'm a big fan of Sepultura, but I'm not a big fan of most 'down-tuning-kind-of-bands', (except Nevermore that is). Cavalera's lyrics have become alittle cliched, but there are some nice music every once in a while.

The acoustic track Soulfly V is just one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. As for albums, I think Dark Ages is the most Sepultura-like.

They have progressively gotten more and more metal over the years. I've always noticed that the self-titled tracks, the Soulfly ones, are usually the best tracks on each album. Though I haven't heard Dark Ages yet...

Soulfly is awesome, they were the first concert I ever attended (it was in support of the first album). The first album was very nu-metal (similar to Roots), but they seem to get more traditional metal with each release. All albums are all great, IMO.

Flamenco riffs?! The two soulfly albums I used to own were simply a more idiotic version of Sepultura - Roots. Absolutely NOTHING on those cds was anything but clunky powerchords, with the exception of the "soulfly" songs which were jam sessions with ethnic instruments. Seriously though, those cds were pretty fucking awful. If you really liked what you heard tonight, my guess is they were only playing stuff off their last cd. The first two cds are honestly some of the dumbest things ever recorded. Here are some sample lyrics, and no, I am not making this up:

"Jumpdafuckup"

What the fuck?
I'm a mack truck!
Are you gonna give up like a bitch?
or JUMP DA FUCK UP?

Also, the first two albums, especially the second, are nearly half made up of guest appearances by various clowns. The first album has a duet with fred durst, the second has one with the guy from slipknot, the second one has SEAN FUCKIN LENNON, the second one has some black lady, both have the deftones guy, etc. Tom Araya makes a fun appearance on the second though. But in general it's just dumb-as-hell powerchord nu-metal. I might have to download their newest cd to see if they actually started being good.

wankerness said:
Flamenco riffs?! The two soulfly albums I used to own were simply a more idiotic version of Sepultura - Roots. Absolutely NOTHING on those cds was anything but clunky powerchords, with the exception of the "soulfly" songs which were jam sessions with ethnic instruments. Seriously though, those cds were pretty fucking awful. If you really liked what you heard tonight, my guess is they were only playing stuff off their last cd. The first two cds are honestly some of the dumbest things ever recorded. Here are some sample lyrics, and no, I am not making this up:

"Jumpdafuckup"

What the fuck?
I'm a mack truck!
Are you gonna give up like a bitch?
or JUMP DA FUCK UP?

Also, the first two albums, especially the second, are nearly half made up of guest appearances by various clowns. The first album has a duet with fred durst, the second has one with the guy from slipknot, the second one has SEAN FUCKIN LENNON, the second one has some black lady, both have the deftones guy, etc. Tom Araya makes a fun appearance on the second though. But in general it's just dumb-as-hell powerchord nu-metal. I might have to download their newest cd to see if they actually started being good.
They have more than three CDs FYI.

I have "Primitive" and it is a pretty cool album...the riffs are a bit dumb and nu-metallish, but they are groovy and they fit the experimental nature of the music...i like the use of "berinbau"(instrument used for the dance\fight art known as capoeira) on the songs, and the tribal elements makes the band stand apart. I liked the last album, it was rawer, more thrashy, a bit similar to the Arise-era Sepultura, and i am a big Sepultura fan, even though they turned into crap when they released "Roots", and i really dislike Derrick Greene's vocals and the band's current musical direction.

K, I looked up a discography, and I haven't heard anything after Primitive. Maybe I'll download III, Prophecy, and Dark Ages just to see if they actually progressed (I kinda doubt it :pPPPPP).

i aint play this said:
I have "Primitive" and it is a pretty cool album...the riffs are a bit dumb and nu-metallish, but they are groovy and they fit the experimental nature of the music...i like the use of "berinbau"(instrument used for the dance\fight art known as capoeira) on the songs, and the tribal elements makes the band stand apart. I liked the last album, it was rawer, more thrashy, a bit similar to the Arise-era Sepultura, and i am a big Sepultura fan, even though they turned into crap when they released "Roots", and i really dislike Derrick Greene's vocals and the band's current musical direction.

Well, Soulfly's first two albums sound essentially like a continuation of Roots into even more nu-metal territory featuring even more nu-metal guys doing guest vocals (I think Roots only had the Korn guy on it?), so I don't see how you can think primitive is awesome and roots is crap unless you like nu-metal. Recent sepultura has been dumb too imo, but I think that "Against" blew the first two soulfly albums out of the water by about 30 miles, the riffs were just more interesting and they had much more interesting ethnic stuff on there (especially the tracks with that big Japanese drum group).

wankerness said:
Well, Soulfly's first two albums sound essentially like a continuation of Roots into even more nu-metal territory featuring even more nu-metal guys doing guest vocals (I think Roots only had the Korn guy on it?), so I don't see how you can think primitive is awesome and roots is crap unless you like nu-metal. Recent sepultura has been dumb too imo, but I think that "Against" blew the first two soulfly albums out of the water by about 30 miles, the riffs were just more interesting and they had much more interesting ethnic stuff on there (especially the tracks with that big Japanese drum group).

lol no i didn't say it was awesome, i just think that "Primitive" is a cool album, and definetely more creative(gotta love tha duet with Max and the soul-singer girl on "flyhigh") than "Roots", Roots sounds like a big mallcore-mess and the riffs lack catchiness, the songs sound basically the same...at least Primitive is more musical, more varied, with better-songwriting...and i liked the collaboration with Sean Lennon, that song for example sounds NOTHING like anything from ''Roots''.

i aint play this said:
lol no i didn't say it was awesome, i just think that "Primitive" is a cool album, and definetely more creative(gotta love tha duet with Max and the soul-singer girl on "flyhigh") than "Roots", Roots sounds like a big mallcore-mess and the riffs lack catchiness, the songs sound basically the same...at least Primitive is more musical, more varied, with better-songwriting...and i liked the collaboration with Sean Lennon, that song for example sounds NOTHING like anything from ''Roots''.

Yeah, you very well might be right...I haven't listened to "Roots" since high school (like...5 years ago :p). I'll have to do that today, I can't wait to be bored :D

bottom line is that soulfly is almost laughable except maybe a few songs in their entire discography. the self-titled/prophecy/3 albums are really terrible except for a few catchy riffs - while the last album, the dark ages, is pretty much an exact copy of arise-era sepultura. if you're going to buy any soulfly, buy their latest album, but dont expect much, and dont laugh TO hard at the lyrics.

MULAMBO(it means dirty cloth in Portuguese)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)
Chegou Aqui (Just arrived here)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)
Chegou Ali (Just arrived over there)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo chegou pra detonar essa porra!!!
(Mulambo it's here to fuck this shit up!!!)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)
Chegou Ali (Just arrived over there

Third world and I'm coming with the fire
Futebol and I'm coming with the fire
E porrada and I'm coming with the fire
(porrada: punch or brawl)
O Brasil and I'm coming with the fire

Mulambo - Mulambo - Mulambo - Mulambo

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)
Chegou Chegou Ali (Just arrived over there)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Mulambo eu (Mulambo I)
Mulambo tu (Mulambo you)

Revolutionary como "Zapata"
(Zapata: Mexican revolutionary)
Revolutionary e "Che Guevara"
(Che Guevara: Third World revolutionary)
Revolutionary como "Zumbi"
(Zumbi: Brasilian slave hero)
Revolutionary to the "most high"

Mulambo - Mulambo - Mulambo - Mulambo

pure poetry iirc

There was a golden one about playing soccer on the first, but I don't remember the name of it. I just remember there'd be breaks where he'd be like JUGA BOLAS, JUGA BOL! which if I'm remembering it accurately means "play balls, play ball" >:p