Sound Replacing SD2.0 with REAPER

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
first of all, i strongly apologize for posting this thread because i know there are many others like this out there, but for some unknown reason, i just cannot find the answer in any thread ive come across. ive searched these forums AND the Reaper forums, as well as google/youtube, and i have yet to find any help! so please dont hate me...

all i want to be able to do is use my own samples in place of the SD2 samples. if anybody here cares enough to help me out, can i PLEASE get a step-by-step how-to on this?

im really sick of using Beatcraft for drums, and i just got SD2 and ive made a couple of drum beats, checked out Ola's tutorial (which still didnt help me with sound replacement) and the difference is so vast, comparing it to beatcraft, it really sounds like there is somebody sitting behind the kit. i would really love to be able to use this and not be stuck with beatcraft. so please, help a fellow sneapster out!!!

Get Trigger EX. I don't use a drum program. Don't even have one. But I think that most of the guys here who have SD2.0 also have Trigger and use it to replace the SD samples. I use Trigger on live drum tracks and it's very easy to get used to.

it seems that Trigger EX is a commercial product, and i am broke now, so that's out of the question for now. but ive seen that people can do it with Reaper's JS: drumtrigger, etc. and id like to be able to use those. one time i came across a thread in the Reaper forums that had a project template of pre-routed midi drums. and i think if somebody can link me to that so i can download that file, that would help me a lot. but i cannot seem to find the thread no matter how hard i try to search.

You can use DrumReaplacer which is a free JS plugin, there's a sticky for it in the Reaper forum JS section.

Just route every channel of SD2.0 to a new track and stick a drum replacement plugin on that track as an insert and you are in bizniz.

thanks for that, im checkin that out now. but one of my main problems is going about routing that. i know how to route a given amount of tracks to another track. but how would i route the separate channels of SD to its own track?

Right click on the SD2.0 vsti in the fx window, and click 'build multichannel'. This will create a track for every output set in the mixer window of SD2.0

I don't have SD2.0 (only SSD and EZ Drummer) but I'm almost sure that SD works the same way.

well DrumReaplacer wont show up in my fx list, no matter what folder i copy the file to. so that also is out of the question -_-

but other replacement vst's i have are BoxSounds' Replacer and ReaSampleomatic. and i did what wolfeman said to do, and i and i now have tracks routed to SD. but i put either replacer on the first track and loaded in a kick sample, and it does no effect to the track.

is there a difference between adding an fx and adding fx as an insert?

UGH if only i could find a tutorial video on this. i hate being a newbie -___-

You put the plugin folders into the wrong reaper folders. They should be somewhere like this- "c/users/username/appdata/roaming/reaper" or something like that.

Also, after you build the multi channel output for SD, are you seeing the meters go up and down? you still may have to tell SD where to route the audio for the specific drums. You can find that in the SD mixer.

oh, at first i put them in the folder that was directed towards from the thread with the file, but maybe that file destination was wrong, but its showing up now. good good. i also recently downloaded the drumagog demo, so ill have a go at that as well.

and no meters were going up and down. would i go to the mixer and select the out as multichannel instead of stereo? or do i need to do each track individually?

thanks for the help so far btw.

Yes, make sure each drum listed in the SD mixer is fed to an appropriate output. I think selecting multichannel does this for you automatically, or you can do it individually for each drum in the mixer window.