Sounds of the Forest

JayKeeley said:
Scratch that - should have known The End has some stuff in.

No Dornenreich though, which I am keen to hear.

The End and Prophecy were meant to have some special partnership a while back, but I don't really know what happened with it. I know they are meant to distribute PP titles, but they don't have many.

Dornenreich are really good. I have "Her Von..." and it's excellent. I know some people who REALLY rate that album.

I've made a couple of orders with them, and once you sort it out they're not too bad. A guy called Tom sorted mine out, and he was very helpful. Maybe you could try e-mailing them first and asking for some help. It really shouldn't be so hard though.

Doom said:
Dornenreich are really good. I have "Her Von..." and it's excellent. I know some people who REALLY rate that album.

Yeah I want this.

I've made a couple of orders with them, and once you sort it out they're not too bad. A guy called Tom sorted mine out, and he was very helpful. Maybe you could try e-mailing them first and asking for some help. It really shouldn't be so hard though.

Yeah I need to stop whining and get this done. They're products/artists are too good to be missed.

Nice to see you on the forum by the way Doom. :) Hope the RC site is working out for you - it's all been a little reformatted since we launched.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah I need to stop whining and get this done. They're products/artists are too good to be missed.

Nice to see you on the forum by the way Doom. :) Hope the RC site is working out for you - it's all been a little reformatted since we launched.

Hey, cheers, nice to be here :) Yeah, the site is really cool. Tons better than some of the shit that passes for 'zines these days. Congrats :)

Doom said:
Hey, cheers, nice to be here :) Yeah, the site is really cool. Tons better than some of the shit that passes for 'zines these days. Congrats :)

Doom - you going to Bloodstock then this year? We'll have one of our guys there (Chief B) most probably.

JayKeeley said:
Doom - you going to Bloodstock then this year? We'll have one of our guys there (Chief B) most probably.

Could do, but probably won't. I'm in the Midlands, so it's only like an hour away. It's one of those things I'd quite like to go to, but probably won't make the effort 'cos I'm so fucking lazy. I'm sure it'll be cool, though I haven't really listened to much power metal (I think most of the bands are power) for ages. I used to really like Nightwish though, and still do, so I might check it out.

Power Quest should be fun for openers - kind of like a mix between Iron Maiden and Helloween, but with four way vocal harmonies.

Of course, Saxon have been added to the headline slot for a little nostalgia - and their last album was awesome.

And I think the show stealer is going to be Blaze. I am still shocked at how good Silicon Messiah is.

Thing about Bloodstock is that you know exactly what you're getting...

I heard 4 or 5 of the tracks of the Forest Stream CD, and they were pretty good, but not good enough to get me to buy the album.

I too must check out that Wood of Ypres band.

I would think that a label like The End would have an interest in Woods of Ypres perhaps? Unless they are too similar to Agalloch, but even then, that shouldn't stop a label.

I'll check out the MP3's.

Hey Erik - can you tell me what language Tenhi sing in? I don't want to assume that it's Norwegian...but based on what you tell me, there is something interesting I'd like to point out.

phyre said:
Finnish.
They're from Finland. :D

OK because this is pretty trippy. Perhaps it's the way they sing, or chant, but the intonations of Finnish make it sound like they are singing English in reverse.

It's fucking creepy. Remember in The Exorcist when they tape Regan to determine what dialect the demon was speaking in, and when they played the tape backwards, it turned out to be modern day English?

It really adds to the effect, but it could just be me getting sucked into the ambience. :D

Add the new Finntroll to this thread.

11 tracks (acoustic) where 5 are 'real songs'. The rest are fillers, but the overall ambience is very night forest like. You'll even hear an owl hoot from time to time.

Very raw instrumentation but with polished production.

Mmmm....3 minutes in and the UM servers haven't crashed yet...that's a new one....

Anyway, listening to Ulver's Bergtatt and Empyrium's Wood Grouse last night. Just astonishing stuff. Been listening to Kveldsjanger for the last few days and my tastes have obviously evolved enough to appreciate this MUCH more than when I bought it 12 months ago.

And Weiland seems much more sorrowful than Wood Grouse. The strings section on track 7 (Kapitel II: Waldpoesie if memory serves me at all) could be some of the most mournful collection of notes I've heard...well, since ever.

Doom said:
Just to show off - Prophecy have just (in the last week or so) re-released Empyrium's demo, in really fancy packaging, but it's very strictly limited, only to Prophecy subscribers. To be a subscriber, they send you all their releases and you either pay for them or send them back. Well, I'm a subscriber so I'm getting mine in the next few days. Well, 3 copies actually :) Can't wait for it.

Doom - did you end up getting your Empyrium demo? I looked on the site and the packaging in the picture looks beautiful with the wooden box etc.

Demonspell said:
I tracked down some Empyrium songs after the recommendations here...Ode To Melancholy, Wood Grouse, and Fortgang are excellent.

Weiland - track #7. It's 13 minutes long, and I think at around the 8 minute mark, the strings section sounds more mournful than anything I have ever heard. Ever. The entire piece is phenomenal.

All Empyrium is phenomenal. I cannot believe they have disbanded. :cry: