SOUTH KOREA IN VEGAS - Mix

Bay Studio

Jul 29, 2011
Austria/New Jersey
soundcloud.com
What´s up guys,

Decided to mix their EP as a mixing practice type of thing. I got the multitracks from the Chango forum on facebook, i guess. There are alot of tracks to play with and they are very well tracked and super tight. Unfortunately there is only a midi bass file and all midi drums. Guitars are quad tracked with alot of precision - and vocals are also excellent, alot of layers, harmonies etc

Would be glad to hear some criticism on my mix! Thanks guys

Mix: https://soundcloud.com/erikbaynj/south-korea-in-vegas-house-of-cards

Pretty sure you meant to put the TS before the 6505 in that chain. ;)

Cool mix, it seems to lack a bit of bass guitar to fill up the low end well though, and I think the kick could come a bit down without losing much impact. Be wary of not EQing your kick and snare too alike, they seem to peak in similar areas which sounds a bit distracting especially when they don't have much decay and sustain. If the drums weren't as loud and were a bit less machine-like and more natural (especially that snare), with more bass guitar filling the low-end and its grit filling some holes in the mids, you'd get a pretty killer mix.

By the way, the guitar tone sounds really good in the mix, so do the vocals.

Pretty sure you meant to put the TS before the 6505 in that chain. ;)

Cool mix, it seems to lack a bit of bass guitar to fill up the low end well though, and I think the kick could come a bit down without losing much impact. Be wary of not EQing your kick and snare too alike, they seem to peak in similar areas which sounds a bit distracting especially when they don't have much decay and sustain. If the drums weren't as loud and were a bit less machine-like and more natural (especially that snare), with more bass guitar filling the low-end and its grit filling some holes in the mids, you'd get a pretty killer mix.

By the way, the guitar tone sounds really good in the mix, so do the vocals.

Haha, yep! Mistyped it.

But hey...Thanks alot for your comment! The low end was a thing i couldnt settle on -> "Is it too much? Not enough low end maybe?...etc"

I will look into what you said! Thanks again! I guess i chose the wrong drum samples for the mix, haha.