Southern-ish/Rock-ish stuff with Addictive Drums + POD XT... trying Ozone 3

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
hey!

soooo yeah, you know, the usual, new clip, this time I'm trying Izotope Ozone 3 for mastering and so far, at least as far as loudness, I think I'm digging it... otherwise... I don't know...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6442629

here it is... what do you think of it?

my self criticism so far is that the POD came out sounding a bit too gainy, dunno why... and that the EQ on the mastering may be a bit fucked up... maybe a tad too midrangey... not sure... I'd like to hear you guy's opinion on this, please!

oh, as far as music, It's still missing a solo and some vocals I started recording yesterday but decided on muting them until they're done

thanks for listening!

hey!

soooo yeah, you know, the usual, new clip, this time I'm trying Izotope Ozone 3 for mastering and so far, at least as far as loudness, I think I'm digging it... otherwise... I don't know...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6442629

here it is... what do you think of it?

my self criticism so far is that the POD came out sounding a bit too gainy, dunno why... and that the EQ on the mastering may be a bit fucked up... maybe a tad too midrangey... not sure... I'd like to hear you guy's opinion on this, please!

oh, as far as music, It's still missing a solo and some vocals I started recording yesterday but decided on muting them until they're done

thanks for listening!

I think it sounds pretty killer myself. If you take away the mid you may lose some of the attack on the guitar as it seems to be cutting really nicly right now. Nice job.

The EQ needs just a little work, but it doesn't sound half bad, really. What is it that Ozone does exactly?

thanks a lot rvs!

Ozone is a mastering plug-in... it includes an EQ, loudness maximizer, harmonic exciter, multiband dynamics and other stuff... what do you think the EQ needs, Tom?

BTW, I'm thinking the drums sound a bit.... small, what do you guys think?

I'm messing around with a demo version of Ozone, and it seems pretty neat! I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly, as I'm still trying to get the hang of EQ in a recording/mixing context myself. It sounds pretty good, really, it just needs maybe a little more shaping and cleaning up. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm still pretty awful with this stuff. :lol:

well, thanks... oh, BTW, that first opinion was written before I updated the mix... I updated it last night and I think it's much better, but I still believe there's a bit too much nasty high-mids in there... I ought to fix that...

Tom, yeah... using Ozone is real hard for me... it's my first approach to somewhat-decent mastering. My advice is just try some of the presets, dude... some are real bad, but some, with some EQ'ing and tweaking are not half bad :)

Gotta admit that I don't think that your "signature"-snare fits in the mix. To me it sounds a bit to prominent.
The drum-sound itself is great of course - really live as always.