Speakers as microphones

AlexN18

New Metal Member
May 16, 2013
Hey guys ive been hearing a lot about speakers and their relations to microphones recently and since you can use woofers to make subkicks could you use tweeters to make high-frequency mics too? Would that apply to midrange speakers as well and could you take normal midrange speakers and use them for midrange mics. Would the size of the speaker matter, like the smaller speaker the better for higher ranges. Im really curious about this and im kinda tempted to experiment but i want input first, thanks!:wave:

The "converted speaker" technique most likely wouldn't pick up enough detail to be useful for midrange or high frequencies, compared to relatively inexpensive mics like the Shure SM57. Have you ever heard what a raw subkick sounds like? It's basically a rumbly "woof" and is intended only to be blended in with another mic. I don't think a similar approach would translate well to mid/high frequency applications (but I've been wrong before).

Short answer - don't bother, buy an SM57.

look at the speaker and at the microphone... obviously speakers have much bigger and ticker membrane (microphone membranes are usually only few microns tick (1/1000000 meter)) That means it is not capable of picking up high(nor mid) frequency. they would act as subkicks too, or would pick up low frequency rumble only (pretty much all the stuff you usually highpass in the mix). You may use them as contact mics for drums as drum trigger tracks (for drum replacement)... if you're too poor to buy 3€ electret mic, solder 4,5V batery to it, put it in a toilet roll and use that... (I've did that... my mom almost threw it out thinking it's a garbage laying around on my table)

On the other hand headphone speakers (especially from earplugs) are small and light enough to act as pretty cool LoFi mics. Cool when connected to amps ...they make that hardcore vocal effect...

You should rather salvage an electret mic from old mobile if you what something that picks up higher frequencies. And for the really really highs you really need something with few micron tick membrane. Things that have it usually cost 50€ and more and are called microphones...

Okay so i have plenty of crappy broken headphones lying around and im totally down to make them into mics since after i buy my first interface this week i wont have the cash to buy a microphone. What do i do to make them microphones.

Get the soldering iron out. Find an xlr cable, pin one to positive terminal, pin two to negative, pin 3 to chassis or pin two, whichever. Use DI to convert to mic impedance before preamp.

Get the soldering iron out. Find an xlr cable, pin one to positive terminal, pin two to negative, pin 3 to chassis or pin two, whichever. Use DI to convert to mic impedance before preamp.

Are you sure about the DI? headphones are usually around 150ohm which is low-Z ...or does that change when used other way around?

Would standard on-ear headphones work for this too?

yes it would, but expect the worst... As I mentioned, electret microphone form old headphones or mobile phone soldered to a 4,5V battery will sound way better than microphone made of headphone speakers.

Both ways sound quality will be very very bad (not worth recording unless used as special effect). You can get better sounding mics at local electro-store for less than 5€. Anyway buying mic for recording purpose that is under 50€ (when new) is a total waste of money, time and hair.

So as mentioned above...get SM57 if you really want to record music. It will take you less time to earn money to buy it, than playing with broken headphones making something pretty much useless in the end.

Are you sure about the DI? headphones are usually around 150ohm which is low-Z ...or does that change when used other way around?
With things like a subkick, the output is too hot for some preamps. I could run some numbers here, but I haven't had my coffee yet. In any case, I'd suggest just plugging in and going if there is no DI available. You'll find out quickly if the signal is useable or not.

I have a 12" guitar speaker which I made a type of sub-kick with. It's really cool, picks up quite a bit of mids. For jazzy stuff it can be enough to only have the speaker and no other mic.