Speaking of Nationalities (help from the Swedes, please)

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
After posting in the "Nationalities" thread, I decided this may be a good place to ask a question concerning Swedish surnames as I know Swedes post here.

In my ancestry, I've found most of the surnames seem to be based on someone being the son or daughter of somebody (Johansson, Andersson, Persdotter). But so far I've come across one that isn't in that style (Westling) and I'm just curious if you would know anything about this surname. Thanks.

Oh, I found out one of my ancestors (Persdotter) was born in a parish called Vikingstad. How black metal is that? :headbang: :lol:

If it ends with Sen then there is a good chance that it is either Danish or Norwegian. If it ends with Son then there is good chance it's Swedish.

Didn't the vikings just basically take the Father's first name and make it the son's last name with "Son" on the end of it, indicating it was the father's son?

Example:

Eric the Red fathered Lief ERICKsson

Yeah, that's why it's not a surprise that so many of my ancestors' surnames end in that way. The thing is, I have no idea what Westling is. For example, I know "Lindgren", which isn't in the "son" or "dotter" style, is based on a type of tree. But Westling? I've looked it up...no clue.

Maybe it doesn't mean anything. My lastname is a very old family name however it doesn't have a sen or son ending.

Thanks for that, Hobo. I had actually thought about that, but couldn't really find anything to confirm it. Most Western surnames seem to either be based on occupation, being the son or daughter of someone, or a location/thing at a location, it seems. But you're probably right about this one, and my hunch was probably correct.

By the way, nice avatar.