Specific Gear question for you Chris;

Lurch

New Metal Member
Mar 27, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
Hello, Lurch from Tampa here- new to your forum.

Chris, I've been doing a little research on you guitar equipment after being really impressed by your tone and technique in some online video's.

More specifically, this 'duel' between you and Jeff : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zV-IlSvP4&mode=related&search=

At the time of that video, which AMP, SPEAKERS, EFFECTS and PICKUPS were you using?

From the info I've read so far, it was probably your ENGL Powerball, a Vintage 30 cab, a Digitech Studio Quad, and Bareknucle pickups (Cold Sweat and Mule?), but perhaps your gear has changed since that video was made?

I'd really appreciate any help or additional info,
Thank you,
LURCH

Unless you have around 4-5 k lying around, this question is pointless. I bet Chris gets asked this all the time, just search the previous threads. Spend more time practicing than worrying about new gear.

Thanks, your post would normally be good advice to most people, but:

as a matter of fact, I do have that much 'lying around', I have researched older threads (see my post, as I did list what the equipment probably was, but I'd like to know if it's correct for that specific clip), and I have put my practice time in.

I'm not sharing the info below to boast whatsoever, but to avoid being critacized as a noob question asker, I will fill you in to who I am and what I own already:

http://www.myspace.com/lurchhammer
http://www.myspace.com/chaosmetalmusic
http://www.thechaoscrew.com/

amps.jpg

Holy shit dude! That is like my guitar heaven! I have an Ada MP1 also man. Sorry for coming off as an ass, there is just so many people coming on here asking really pointless questions that don't really need Chris' aid.

Just checked out your myspace, Chaos is sick! Nice to hear some heavy thrash metal.

Thanks for the good word!

I know exactly what you're talking about noob posts, I've seen hundreds of them myself on forums just like this. Your response was right on the mark 90% of the time.

Like I said, hope I didn't come off as being egotistical either, because I'm my own worst critic and think I suck compared to shredders like Chris. They give everyone something to work up to, and inspiration to avoid becoming 'stagnant'.

I'm also not out to 'steal' anyones tone, but to learn from them. Like most musicians, I'd like to have my own unique sound. Finding out what makes certain tones work so well gives you elements that you can work into your own system.

What I like so much from that clip is Chris' lead tones 'smoothness' and note clarity without the scratchyness found with EMG's. Jeff is an awesome player too, but I can hear some scratchy noises caused by his EMG 707 pickups showing that clean execution is not ALL in the fingers. I went back to passive pickups for that reason. EMG's rule for sizzling metal rhythm's, but they show all your tiny flaws when playing leads.

Thanks again for the good word on our band CHAOS!

I myself prefer dimarzio over emg. I don't really like active emgs too much either. I guess it depends if you play on the neck or bridge pickup for your leads as well. Pretty sure both Chris and Jeff are both using Engl now.

What I like so much from that clip is Chris' lead tones 'smoothness' and note clarity without the scratchyness found with EMG's. Jeff is an awesome player too, but I can hear some scratchy noises caused by his EMG 707 pickups showing that clean execution is not ALL in the fingers. I went back to passive pickups for that reason. EMG's rule for sizzling metal rhythm's, but they show all your tiny flaws when playing leads.

Keep in mind that the camera was right in front of Jeff and his amp, while there was some distance between the camera's mic and Chris and his amp. This really makes it hard to say how their tones varied based soley on that video IMO.

^That's a good point also, but I still recognize a certain scratchy/clicky sound in his playing that I've become familiar with from using EMG's.

What's strange is that I had become so accustomed to EMG's that I didn't even realize that I was making that noise. My drummer/vocalist complained that I sounded sloppy and horrible at times, so I immediately changed my amplifier and effects trying to fix it- nothing was working and I was becoming frustrated with my amps and my playing (and the drummers complaining, hehe). One day I had to use my Jem (with DiMarzio Evolutions) at practice and the drummer said 'cool, you fixed that noise!'. All along the pickups were the problem, not my amps.

The problem noise I'm referring to is the scratchy pick attack sound on fast runs. Hard to explain, but it's the 'clicky' string noise in between notes that EMG's amplify- it's even more pronounced when skipping or changing strings. Passive pickups have a rounder E.Q. that smooths out these runs and can cover up a little of this slop sound. It's very similiar to how the sag of a tube amp can improve the spongy feel of your playing, while a solid state amp is less forgiving.

Hey Lurch,

welcome to the forum. You have it all right except I prefer Celestion G12H30 speakers (very tight with a flat even response and complex midrange).

Take care, Chris.

Cool, thanks for the info Chris.

I checked those speakers out, looks interesting. Dr.Z amps says to mix two G12H30's with 2 regular Vintage 30's in an "X" pattern for some great results.

I've tried the Bogner idea with 2 GT75's and 2 V30's in an "X" pattern, but the problem there is that the V30's are so much louder (more midrange) that I don't think I could even hear the GT75's at all.