Speed building question

Timmy_M

Aspiring Bassist
Aug 15, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I'm new here so don't be TOO hard on me.

Been playing bass for 2 and a half years now, I play fingerstyle mostly but I play a bit of slap and tap but fingerstyle is my concern this time around.

My problem is I'm not very fast going across the strings (3 note patterns from string to string or 1 note per string sweeping)

I've been doing scales and the typical 1-2-3-4 on every string type excercises for awhile now and I'm just not getting any faster. Anyone have any good excercises that helped them get faster?

When i was learning to play with the extra finger, i use to apply that method. But man just play metal, its what i started doing and i made a lot more progress. Focus on trying to play songs by Lamb of God or other bands that have that rapid fire sort of stuff. It puts a real primary focus on the right hand (assuming your right handed) or vice versa. A good song to start from Lamb of God is Omerta. Good luck.

on stevedigiorgio.com there's a little exercise to play with 3 fingers, basically you can do 1-2-3 -1-2-3 or 1-2-3-2-1-2-3.. the 1-2-3-1-2-3 is easier to begin , but 1-2-3-2-1-2-3 is more effective and accurate IMO.

good luck

^agreed.

use 321 or 123 or 3212 or whatever patern your comfortable with.
USE A FUCKING METRONOME..if you dont have it get it or download it.
Another thing mentioned in the column written by Steve with I think people dont pay attention to is that he has weritten to practice the right hand whenever/wherever they can by doing the 3212 pattern on the bass,on a table,chair wherever you can.That i think greatly helped me improve my speed.
last but not the least keep practicing.

cheers

well, practice harder and more accurately,and remember not to play with stiff hands and wrists:)