Sperzel Tuners / Schecter Guitar

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
I finally gave in and bought myself a new guitar to go along with my 6506 head. I couldn't resist :loco: Saved up a shit load of money working 3 part time jobs and going to school and now it's already Christmas for me. :) Anywayz, I haven't found too much about Sperzel Tuners on this forum, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing them? I bought some directly from Sperzel in a custom 7-string set and I 've heard you have to drill holes in the head stock as well as the low B-string because it won't fit? Feedback appreciated!

SchecterLoomisBody.jpg

I dunno dude, that's a Loomis right? Looks absolutely amazing, and I'd imagine it'd have some good tuners on it already (Grovers, probably, which rule on my ESP LTD EC-400), so I say if ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yep, ya need to drill holes. Honestly, if they are quality tuners, and the nut is slotted properly, then you shouldn't have many tuning issues. Locking tuners should help though. I have Sperzels on my strat and love em. I don't trust myself drilling into my axe though, so I had my tech do it. Yes, the Sperzels require drilling. They seem to get the most consistently positive reviews out of the other locking tuners.

-Joe

I dunno dude, that's a Loomis right? Looks absolutely amazing, and I'd imagine it'd have some good tuners on it already (Grovers, probably, which rule on my ESP LTD EC-400), so I say if ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yup! It's the Schecter Loomis-7. I've never tried Sperzel's but have heard/read some really good things about them. You might be right though because sometimes I try upgrading my gear and I turn it into a really expensive paper weight!

Yep, ya need to drill holes. Honestly, if they are quality tuners, and the nut is slotted properly, then you shouldn't have many tuning issues. Locking tuners should help though. I have Sperzels on my strat and love em. I don't trust myself drilling into my axe though, so I had my tech do it. Yes, the Sperzels require drilling. They seem to get the most consistently positive reviews out of the other locking tuners.

-Joe

Ya I don't I trust my drilling skills either. lol I hope I can find someone with experience with installing these things because this is one project that might cost me if I screw up!

I've used Sperzels in pretty much all but my newest guitar (so maybe 4 total since I started playing?) and while I like them, their gear ratio is definitely on the low side. Last time I looked into it, pretty much every other locking tuner made was significantly higher, which should translate into more precision and stability. The Sperzels are something like 14 or 16, which is lower than a lot of normal tuners, even. I can feel the difference, they're kind of "twitchy" to tune.

Also, unless they've started making sets for 7-string you'll probably have to get the lowest one machined out so that your low string will fit through - I used to play a pair of SGs tuned down to B and had to do this. But the good news is that the folks at Sperzel are really nice and did it for free. I think I talked to Bill (?) Sperzel at one point, very helpful guy.

But next time around I'm getting something with a higher ratio. Schaller, Grover, I think they all make locking tuners now.

IMO, don't mod the Schecter! It's good already. :)

I love everything about the guitar except the black/chrome hardware.. not a fan. I love the plain black hardware! ... plus it adds more gain to your tone ;)

Does anyone know where I can find other tuners in black for a 7-string?

YIKES! Before you go drilling that guitar out, you can get GROVER lock tuners for it, if you're after locking ones, that is. Schecters already come with Grovers installed, so it's no big deal to swap 'em out. I've got a set of "Grover locking Rotomatics" on my Hellraiser & they're fucking awesome.

I love everything about the guitar except the black/chrome hardware.. not a fan. I love the plain black hardware! ... plus it adds more gain to your tone ;)

Does anyone know where I can find other tuners in black for a 7-string?

Hmm, you know, normally I really love black chrome hardware, but on this guitar your right, I too would prefer straight black (probably because of the maple fretboard, which I find extremely gorgeous :)) As for places to look for tuners, check out www.warmoth.com, www.stewmac.com, and www.ebay.com ;)

YIKES! Before you go drilling that guitar out, you can get GROVER lock tuners for it, if you're after locking ones, that is. Schecters already come with Grovers installed, so it's no big deal to swap 'em out. I've got a set of "Grover locking Rotomatics" on my Hellraiser & they're fucking awesome.

Ya, I should probably take that route depending on who I can get to do it :erk: I'm just really skeptical of the drilling thing... If you could lead me in the direction of finding some in black for a 7-string guitar I would greatly appreciate it! - Thanks!

BTW Thank You Metaltastic for the links! I didn't have any luck with the 7-string sets though... :(

Sperzels do rule. I have some on my Les Paul silverburst, but only because the original Gibson tuners were trash.

If you don't have any tuning issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

Oz,

How is the nut on the Schecter?? Did it need to be filed to accept heavier strings?

-Joe

sperzels are nice to have, and they do work well

but honestly i've never had tuning issues with grovers...that's even what i had put on my gutierrez which was 100% custom

His part about drilling the Low B tuner is in relation to the max string size Sperzels will allow without modification. I forget what that number is - I want to say 65?

Less than that when I had to get them drilled - I think I was using like 59-62 or so for the B maybe? But that was several years ago, I could imagine they might have fixed this by now.

P.S. That is a beautiful guitar body.

Less than that when I had to get them drilled - I think I was using like 59-62 or so for the B maybe? But that was several years ago, I could imagine they might have fixed this by now.

P.S. That is a beautiful guitar body.

Hey just FYI, I just talked to Roger at Sperzel for my order and he said that the tuner for the B string goes up to .78 gauge!