Splash micing

I guess it really depends what you're all meaning by "metal". Like... that's a MASSIVE variety of sounds. I hear a lot of great splash/china usage in death metal, and I'm pretty sure there's a lot of them in Meshuggah stuff too.

I love splashes and chinas. I guess I'm odd.

What I fucking HATE, though, beyond any possible hope of recovery, are... hi-hats. Goddamned little clangety bastards, of the thousands of metal drummers out there I can only think of ten drummers who use them in a way that doesn't just completely piss me the fuck off. They sound like throwing metal trash cans full of nuts and bolts down stairs, they're bashed on repeatedly as if that were a substitute for actual creativity, and they're always mixed to the wrong fucking side! When some cocksucker is banging sixteenth notes at 192bpm on the splash I can see a complaint, but no bitching about chinas until hi-hats are eradicated from the face of the earth.

Jeff

I love chinas, they're my favorite cymbal by far. Has anyone ever listened to Living Sacrifice? Lance totally utilizes the china in a way that makes you want to punch people in the face.

I don't see how you guys think Chinas are not metal, they totally make me want to groove, mosh, and just blow things up...

Splashes are good when used right...ala Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater.

I love splashes and chinas. I guess I'm odd.

What I fucking HATE, though, beyond any possible hope of recovery, are... hi-hats. Goddamned little clangety bastards, of the thousands of metal drummers out there I can only think of ten drummers who use them in a way that doesn't just completely piss me the fuck off. They sound like throwing metal trash cans full of nuts and bolts down stairs, they're bashed on repeatedly as if that were a substitute for actual creativity, and they're always mixed to the wrong fucking side! When some cocksucker is banging sixteenth notes at 192bpm on the splash I can see a complaint, but no bitching about chinas until hi-hats are eradicated from the face of the earth.

Jeff

Tru dat.

Because of the little bit of drum playing I do, I am fully convinced that drums should be arranged from the drummer's perspective, and since the vast majority of drummers put them on the left side that's where I should expect them to be.

Jeff

+1000...
that's the only thing that "bothers" me with Sneap's mixes...every time I hear a tomfill going from the right side to the left a tiny bit of the drummer inside of my dies.....

when he's completely dead I'll play more solos, so when my bandmates complain that I'm playing solos in every break and between the songs it's your fault Andy!!
;)

Seriously, drums mixed from "audience-perspective" fucks something up in my brain....not that there's much to destroy though ;)

JBroll said:
Because of the little bit of drum playing I do, I am fully convinced that drums should be arranged from the drummer's perspective, and since the vast majority of drummers put them on the left side that's where I should expect them to be.

Jeff

+1! unless its a left handed drummer.

LSD-Studio said:
+1000...
that's the only thing that "bothers" me with Sneap's mixes...every time I hear a tomfill going from the right side to the left a tiny bit of the drummer inside of my dies.....

+ 1000000 I've been doing it "drummer's perspective" since the begining, since i first understood the Pan Pot. I can understand if it's a DVD mix then it's a different story.

scorpio01169 said:
usually splashes are centered because the are mixed between the left and right overheads....they dont get their own mic.

I was asking about Jeff's hat panning.

I pan audience perspective because of my history in live engineering. But then, isn't a recording in a way a recorded simulation of seeing the band in front of you? That's why we pan everything else like live. No other element of a mix is done from the drummer's perspective, it's all how an audience would want to hear it - so why would you pan drums that way?

I can understand audience-face pan live, but on albums I don't think of it as 'play this for me NOW!' - I get to be in the room rewinding and analyzing and transcribing and whatthefuckever I want, so the oddball aspiring drummer in me wants to visualize what it's like being on the throne to see how the drummer thinks of things. It also simplifies communication - when I say hit that fucking brass thingy on the left I'm going to hear the drummer hitting something and it'll come out on the left side... it drives me nuts trying to translate between 'his left' and 'my left' because I'm trying to see things from his perspective.

I'm also facing the guitarists when they're playing, and when one of them thinks of himself as being on the left side it's obviously going to be the left side from his perspective. If I'm trying to explain 'this needs to be tighter, you're behind the beat' I don't want him arguing 'no, I'm the other side, Mick is on the right' - it happened one too many times and now everything is mixed band perspective.

Jeff