Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ...and Spring

amusing still, a calligraphy with a kitty tail!

board1013_184_4_040907_spring4.jpg

The Isle by the same director is my favorite. I also loved Samaria.

SSFW&S is more like a tongue-in-cheek Buddhist parable play with all the dark and sinister stampings of Kim's previous works. And the irony is that Kim is not a Buddhist, though (of all things) he appears in the film himself as one.

It's interesting how the most "asiany" of Kim's films is given the light of day in America and else. SSFW&S is quite unlike Kim's other films. :)

Surely he's not a buddhist but you should keep in mind that Buddhist thoughts & "Welt-Anschauung" have sunk deep into a collective Korean con/unconsciousness throughout about 1600 years. "Wheather he's a buddhist or not" is not the matter. I don't agree with your commentary about SSFW&S but I'm glad to hear you like Kim's movies.

think about all the parallels between this movie and kim's other movies. think about a movie like The Isle. SSFW&S recalls The Isle in many ways - the water, the anumal abuse and topics relating to that, murder and convicts running from the law. it goes on and on. i know that Kim was commissioned by a French company to make that film and, yeah, he's not buddist but this also means he has no reason to be reverent towards buddhism, not anymore than he is reverent to any other subject he handles (or any less irreverent). so in all you have these elements in Spring.. and all kinds of heinous things happen in it, including two rather promiscous deaths - a woman, and a guy who sets himself on fire, which by the way isn't a traditional buddhist practice and was invented by kim for the movie. and we know that this movie is the sort that was meant for a worldwide audience anyway, commissioned by a european company, and kim is at the helm of that. one thinks how's he going to treat the film? he's not buddhist, after all. and he's kim kiduk the guy who makes movies about college girls forced into prostitution and who later falls in love with their pimps, movies about teenaged hookers and their murderous fathers. movies about strange murderous female mutes who (apparently) are able to swim like fish at night. those things add up to give some impression or some context. i definitely can't view SSFW&S as an innocent and totally reverent Buddhist film as most people seem to take it. there's some irony going on there.

:wave:

exciar28 said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374546/

highly recommended korean movie. I heard that the movie did a good run in US. You'll be fascinated with a beatiful scenery of the temple on a lake.

Director Kim's other movies are also recommended. WATCH!

Hey, thanks exciar28 for starting this thread! I'm usually short on time to post 'round these parts, but heck if I don't procrastinate readin this forum.

And your recommendation of the movie reminded me the other night to check out what the local university International Film Series had lined up for this fall semester. Wouldn't ya know that Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring kicked off the series...and was shown for free tonight!

Really an excellent excellent movie all around, great storytelling!

I'll be checking out the director's other films deffo, tho given the talk here about the previous films....is SSFWaS intended for an audience outside Korea, fishin for a Best Foreign Film Oscar (and other awards)? So few spoken lines opened it up to a wider audience as well? Regardless, you can't not like the movie. It's class. Thanks again for postin the thread! hope everyone sees the film

glad to hear that Justo :) Director Kim is the most misunderstood/indignified artist- even in here, Korea. I guess you would be shocked by his another film-- So was I. However his movies are always religious thus you would take a lot of things to reflect.

:hotjump: another recommendation: Dir. Kim was always spoken with Director Hong, Sang-su. Hong's movie is also pretty good to watch. but I hate him.

exciar28 said:
glad to hear that Justo :) Director Kim is the most misunderstood/indignified artist- even in here, Korea. I guess you would be shocked by his another film-- So was I. However his movies are always religious thus you would take a lot of things to reflect.

:hotjump: another recommendation: Dir. Kim was always spoken with Director Hong, Sang-su. Hong's movie is also pretty good to watch. but I hate him.

Awesome. Sounds like Mr. Kim's movies are right up my alley. How would you describe the S. Korean film industry compared to neighboring countries and Hollywood? It definitely seems to get overshadowed by China and Japan in the international market, though is there enough funding and success in S. Korea to have a healthy film industry? Just wondering on how much I'm missing out with Korean movies...to add to thee list of more films I must see from Japan, Hong Kong, China...

South Korean's Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter ... and Again Spring won the top prize at the second Pacific Meridian international film festival in Russia.

The honor, presented during ceremonies in Vladivostok, earned director Kim Ki-Duk $25,000, Novosti reported Thursday.

Thai Pen-ek Ratanaruang received the award for best director. His film, The Last Life in the Universe, won an honor at an international film festival in Bangkok in 2003 and an award for best actor at a Venice, Italy, film festival.

New Zealand's Rachael Blake was named best actress for the film, Perfect Strangers, and Satoshi Tsumabuki from Japan won as best actor for the film Joze, the Tiger and the Fish.

Vladimir Mashkov was presented the special memory of generations award for Father, a film based on Alexander Galich's play, Matrosskaya Tishina.

Capital City Express by Artyom Antonov was named best short film.

A special jury award was given to All Tomorrow's Parties by Hong Kong director Yu Lik-wai.

http://vn.vladnews.ru/News/upd09_2.HTM