SRV

May 30, 2008
Iceland
No one can deny the greatness that is Stevie, discuss.

My favourite song is Texas Flood, it's just so awesome, the solo is one of my favourite of all time. And Stevie is IMO the best blues guitarist who ever lived and one of my heroes.

This topic is set for disaster and additionally, this was all just hashed over two weeks ago.

No doubt einherjar is ready willing and ABLE to point us toward a "bluesman" who can outplay Stevie... complete with sound clips and legitmate explainations for what is is that makes them better guitarists

:lol:

I've been getting a little bit more into him lately after this one old black dude who I respect was talking to me about him.

I'll wait and see how heated or interesting this thread gets. If it's a just a bunch of you cyber-fucking over how awesome Vaughan is, then I'll leave you alone. But if arguments start, then maybe I'll throw my two cents in.

But I never said Vaughan wasn't good, remember that. I just don't think you can say he was the best blues player ever.

Oh, sorry, that came out wrong, I kinda respect him as the greatest guitarist ever but of course there is B.B. King and Albert King I think, so I didn't mean best, I barely listen to blues so ignore me, sorry.

Ya know... it almost seems like Stevie Ray Vaughn's music is more "black" than Hendrix. People are gonna be like "durp, that' stupid" but think of how ROCK Hendrix is. Yeah he played blues sometimes but he also played a lot of freakin' feedback drenched expirmental rock. SRV has a more rural kind of sound. Stevie definetly appeals more to fans of artists like BB King and Albert King, whereas Hendrix definetly appeals more to fans of artists like Led Zeppelin and Peter Green.

Hendrix got a fair amount of crap from the brothers for his rockin ways. He was also shunded by the old bluemen. Hendrix actually had a lot of R&B experience, playing with the Isley Brothers, Little Richard and others. I read somehwere years ago they, "the brothers" used to bust his balls and say "when you comin' home?" I believe he was in this process when he started Band of Gypsys, you can hear more soul but you can still hear Hendrix. I also read he was very tired of demands from fans to play his old bombastic songs and smash his guitars and was tired of everyone feeding him drugs, he wanted to forget the psychedelic stuff and expand his musical abilities, but I think he was a bit lost and bewildered, burnt out as well. He was supposed to hook up with Billy Cobham and Jan Hammer but never got the chance. So we had Tommy Bolin on Cobhams "Spectrum" album which isnt a bad thing at all but Hammer influence would have done Hendrix alot of good and we would have had the opportunity to hear Jimi playing some fusion.

Vaughan stayed with the blues and boogie format except when covering Hendrix and perhaps a touch of jazz with songs like Riviera Paradise, which is actually my favorite pick, it totally emphasizes his expressive and loose feel ability.

I still need to fill out my Vaughan collection, I only own CSTW and In Step.

If anyone knows of any unmentionable download sites you need to find yourself a copy of Stevie playing and SINGING Jimi's Little Wing, there are many versions. Typically all instrumental but the one I have has him singing and the improve is flawless and if you are a die hard Hendrix/Vaughan fan such as myself can almost bring a tear to the savage eye, the sound quality is excellent, vocals will melt you and he was definantly in "the zone". Either at the beginning or the end it says "brought to you by simple accurate .com" or something of that nature. Funny thing is, I found it listed under nearly every great guitar player except Vaughan. Names like Beck, Trower, even Steve Morse, but there is no doubt... it is "the one and only"... no one... I repeat... NO ONE else could play like that.... except for maybe one

well... its typically more enjoyable and with legitimate info and thoughts than anything you have ever had to say... as you have just proven with your two tiny weeny posts.......

:Smokin:

We'll I have nothing to add to this thread that hasn't already been said to death (pun intended) about SRV... but your fanboyism can't help repeating itself apparently lol

besides the comment that Hendrix was shuned by the old blues crew I see no repeats in that post..... but yours are redundant as hell

so now we have three post by you that offered........ NOTHING... go figure

here Joe Bonamassa, for those who may be hungry for more, I was only recently turned on to him by a guy on the SX forum but hes been around awhile. Hes more diverse and has been into all forms of blues and blues rock

covering Tulls "New Day Yesterday" (not sure who wrote it though)

Last edited by a moderator: