SSD vs Toontrack Mix

prabblerabble

Nov 22, 2013
https://soundcloud.com/amberstudio/sets/rock-pop-punk-clips-1

wrote and mixed a short Paramore-esque song clip to compare EzDrummer and Steven Slate Drums, both which i've used for a long while now. I'm curious to hear which you guys think sounds better on this mix. Everything other than the drums are mixed the same on both tracks, except I think the guitar solo is slightly quieter on one of the tracks.

On the EzDrummer track, I'm using a combination of the Metal! and Metal Machine EZX expansions (kick from Metal! and snare from Metal Machine).

On the Steven Slate track I think i'm using the "Chunky Rock" kit, with Kick 5 and Snare 11a/Snare 5.

Cheers,
Prabhu :Smokin:

i prefer the slate version. but there should be more room on the drums. sounds to separated for my taste.

on the toontrack version, the snare lacks of power and the cymbals are horrible.

thanks for the feedback! yeah the toontrack samples in my opinion are a lot more raw and especially the snares lack some of the punch that slate samples have. i did just notice the cymbals, so thanks for that. would you be able to elaborate on adding more room to the drums?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here - the Toontrack version sounds better in every way. The biggest issue I hear is your programming - are all hits 127?

huh that's interesting! what about the toontrack version stands out the most? and i just checked; i varied the velocities for all the drums but just realized the kicks are all 127 which is totally my bad haha. thanks for pointing that out! i did notice that changing the velocity on the snares changed the tone of the snare significantly more with Ezdrummer.

thanks for the feedback! yeah the toontrack samples in my opinion are a lot more raw and especially the snares lack some of the punch that slate samples have. i did just notice the cymbals, so thanks for that. would you be able to elaborate on adding more room to the drums?

sure i would!

I think I prefer the Steven Slate version here.

The shells sound much more punchier, and the cymbals from Toontrack sound super thin and don't cut through.

I know they're designed to achieve the same end outcome, but this is kind of apples and oranges, since the Slate samples, both here and in every instance I've ever heard them in, have sounded significantly pre-processed more than the Toontrack stuff.

Toontrack version sounds way better. The cymbals in the Slate version have no definition. The Toontrack drums sit much better in the mix, although the snare can use a bit of a high end boost. Also, the drums as a whole need to come up in volume. The Slate version needs to be a bit more realistic in the programming. It's not as noticeable in the Toontrack version but an improvement in the programming would benefit it as well.

Yeah, the Slate cymbals are just a wash of noise, and the Toontrack version sounds like the drums are louder in the mix than the Slate. I'd say Toontrack with some Slate samples on the snare blended in.

When I am using programmed stuff I always use more samples than just what Toontrack, Slate or even BFD has to offer, because that's what I would do with most real kits too. Weither it is an attack sample on the snare or just some low end for the kick. The better cymbals I find are the toontrack ones.

Super late response, but thank you to everyone for all the feedback! I've been using Toontrack samples on my more recent mixes (after this post) and i've been more satisfied with my results. Although they're not as punchy, I just like that they sound much more natural and real. But really appreciate all the input!

-Prabhu