Ssl alphalink infos

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
Hi guys, I think it's time for me to upgrade my studio set up.
Atm I run a FF800 with my pc and nuendo.
I think to buy the ssl alphalink ax and a ssl madiextrme 64 card.
What's your opinion about that? could I have a more solid set up and better latency with the ssl?

They sound AWESOME, really neutral, transparent and detailed. Far prefer them over Old Digi 192's and Apogee's

How does it work in terms of latency? Are you able to go down to 64 samples without cracks and pops?

Yep, runs great! I usually switch it to 512 when I'm not tracking, but unless I have FG-X or SD2.0 open it seems to run fine at 64. The latency at 64 samples isn't enough to bother me when I'm tracking... I can tell something's happening but it's barely noticeable.

Been running two Alphalink AX's and MadiXtreme 64 at my new place for a couple productions now and everything runs perfectly with 48 I/O. Refuse to track with latency so I've only had it down to 128 samples while handling all monitoring analogue, but I've had no issues whatsoever. Also slaving the system to an Antelope word clock.

Do you guys really get along with the MadiXtreme card? I know it's cheaper than the MX4, but I just can't imagine not having the routing control and options for the Alpha Link available to me in the DAW. Is it easy enough to go through the front panel controls on the Alpha?

The madiExtreme 64 doesn't have the direct monitoring/dsp and in my opinion is a big miss. Anyway it depends on how low we can go with the latency.
Another good card is the RME madi that has a great DSP/Direct monitoring system

@Plec
Nice to know it works well...did you try wich is the lowest latency available in PT?

I run the SSL alpha for 7 months now, and no problem here. I just can say it sounds far better than saffire converters, but I´ve never compared it to an Apogee or Lynx...I use zero latency monitoring with my Saffire, never try to put the buffer down to 64 samples. It has never cracked or done anything strange, I have configured it as my master device and the saffire as the slave. Now thinking on investing in a master clock, but the idea of spending 1000 bucks on a Big ben kills me! Any cheap option that improves the ssl inner clock???
Cheers

I run the SSL alpha for 7 months now, and no problem here. I just can say it sounds far better than saffire converters, but I´ve never compared it to an Apogee or Lynx...I use zero latency monitoring with my Saffire, never try to put the buffer down to 64 samples. It has never cracked or done anything strange, I have configured it as my master device and the saffire as the slave. Now thinking on investing in a master clock, but the idea of spending 1000 bucks on a Big ben kills me! Any cheap option that improves the ssl inner clock???
Cheers

If your alpha link is the unit that made the most crucial ad/da conversion, I would not clock it with nothing ( leave it as a master clock ).....spend your money in a good preamps imo.
If you have several digital unit working, using a master clock generator is a good idea.

The madiExtreme 64 doesn't have the direct monitoring/dsp and in my opinion is a big miss. Anyway it depends on how low we can go with the latency.
Another good card is the RME madi that has a great DSP/Direct monitoring system

@Plec
Nice to know it works well...did you try wich is the lowest latency available in PT?
No I haven't done that yet but I will check that out. You can write in any buffer size you want it seems so it will be interesting for sure to know how low you can go. :)

In terms of direct monitoring, I used to rely on it but one of the beauties of having an analogue studio with the hardware outboard and fx is that you're not enslaved by your computer setup. That was one of the main points to have in the new studio that you would never need to rely on your computer for monitoring no matter if you run Cubase, Logic or PT in there. Everything regarding foldback mixes and monitoring becomes 1000 times easier when you actually have the analog option to do that... or PT HD with TDM.