SSL Alphalink first impression Review

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Yo,

So i got my SSL alphalink today. It was a bit of a hazzle to get it working, not the best manual. But after searching on the web i got it up and running.

Im always a bit suspicious about people hyping any type of gear, converters to monitors to HD compressors. You almost always end up a bit disappointed but this time i was like WOOOW what a big difference. Lowend clearer, mids clearer highs smoother. Ok, i had an Digi 003 before, not the best soundcard out there. But non the less a decent interface.

I still got some problems getting my hardware working, but im gonna post a follow-up when i got everything up and running. But as for now im totally happy with my choice.

ssl.jpg

Cheers!!!

Im not at all surprised you noticed a huge difference between the 003 and the SSL, IMHO the sound quality of all the 00 series since the 001 has always been pretty questionable, in fact all the LE interfaces have been pretty dull.
Congrats on the new purchase though, certainly the best bang for you buck of decent quality out there at the moment.

Yeah, i actually got a Digi 002 before the 003. But that was all before Pt9. The 003 was a big step up from 002 both conversion and Ad/Da.
But i feel 100% with my purchase.

@Gabriel

Off course man :) The Clock is awesome on the spider :)

Mikaël-ange;10187656 said:
Congrats Christian;)

What problem did you have with hardware btw?

Thanks man!

I solved it. The Alphalink has a matrix router where the madi card is the actual soundcard so i just had to chose the right combination in the matrix.

My next problem is that i can't get the Spider working via adat, my guess it is the same problem, i have to adjust the right i/o on the onboard matrix on the alphalink haha. Sounds great though :)

Good luck with the non user friendly process to do that;)
What bother me with the whole alphalink serie is the fixed I/O calibration level. But I think that thing don't bother lot of people:lol:

Yeah, the RME I/O level calibration is plain retarded. Their 'default' +4dBu setting is -9dBFS. I forget what -10dBV is, but the lowest you're able to achieve is 0VU = -15dBFS, which is using the 'Lo Gain' option.

Quite keen to check out the Alphalink, much as you are. Just not sure it's worth ditching an already well-functioning system for it. It'd lead to a chain of replacements for me, starting with needing to get a MADI card in place of the RayDAT, then re-cabling the rack etc.