Standard Speakers for Bass Cabs?

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
Is there a certain "standard" brand of speakers for bass cabinets? like a 10" or 15" that is commonly used in high end cabs such as the Celestion V30s are more or less a standard for guitar cabs? I´m just wondering right now looking at bass cab specs cause I need to buy one, and I don´t know if there´s any specific kind of speaker I should be looking for. So far it seems Ampeg has Eminence speakers, peavey uses sheffield, Gallien Krueger uses their own GK speakers, and so on.

Any tips on this?

I am not sure if there's anything like that, more like a standard cabinet, but no special standard speaker.
Imho the "problem" is, that there are so many diffrent bass cab designs, for guitars, there are just a bit
different versions of a straight/slanted 4x12, 2x12s and 1x12s, 4x10 sometimes and that's it (almost).
For bass, you've got 15" cabs, 1x15, 2x15, 8x10s, 4x10s, 2x10s, 2x12s, 4x12s, 1x15+2x10...
There are cabinets with and without tweeters and it's hard to find a speaker that finds all the different
designs and speakersizes, all I know is, that Eminence builds great speakers ;)
And now you've got neodymn speakers, too, and to be fair, bassplayers are way more interested in inno-
vations than guitar players most of the time (talking about digital amps, neodymn speakers and active preamps)

yep, that's imho a little "problem" with bass gear, for many guitar sounds it's like this:
Get Amp A, Cab B and Guitar C and you have like 80% of the sound, but it seems to
be a bit more difficult with bass stuff, but at the same time, most of the parts are more
flexible than most of the guitar stuff.

I hope you understand what I mean, I am far away from sober...

yep, that's imho a little "problem" with bass gear, for many guitar sounds it's like this:
Get Amp A, Cab B and Guitar C and you have like 80% of the sound, but it seems to
be a bit more difficult with bass stuff, but at the same time, most of the parts are more
flexible than most of the guitar stuff.

I hope you understand what I mean, I am far away from sober...

Hahahah yeah I get you, happy drinking! While we´re on it, I remember you are or have been a bass player, have any experience with Ashdown cabs? I´m looking at two used 2x10s locally, pretty cheap.

EV (Electro-Voice) Speakers were used in some of the older Diesel series Mesa Cabs and they are monsters, expensive but damn good.
Small bit of info but it might help.

I only really have one experience to go by, but whatever speaker is in Mesa Boogie's Walkabout bass amp combo, sounds massive. I tried a few bass amps at the GC and they all sounded flat and weak compared to the walkabout. This probably has a lot to do with the amp and cabinet design more than the speaker itself, but whatever they used, it worked.

I am not sure if there's anything like that, more like a standard cabinet, but no special standard speaker.
Imho the "problem" is, that there are so many diffrent bass cab designs, for guitars, there are just a bit
different versions of a straight/slanted 4x12, 2x12s and 1x12s, 4x10 sometimes and that's it (almost).
For bass, you've got 15" cabs, 1x15, 2x15, 8x10s, 4x10s, 2x10s, 2x12s, 4x12s, 1x15+2x10...
There are cabinets with and without tweeters and it's hard to find a speaker that finds all the different
designs and speakersizes, all I know is, that Eminence builds great speakers ;)
And now you've got neodymn speakers, too, and to be fair, bassplayers are way more interested in inno-
vations than guitar players most of the time (talking about digital amps, neodymn speakers and active preamps)

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I think it's because there are no (or very few) bass playing heroes like we have guitar heroes. I guess people are more open to trying new things when there isn't an established "norm" or "standby" configuration.

bassplayers are way more interested in inno-
vations than guitar players most of the time

Huge +1 to this. Its refreshing, the bass playing world is nowhere near as close minded as the guitar playing world.

hey Dan, yeah, still playing ;)
tried the cheapest Ashdown 2x10 once, in combination with a 300€ Ashdown head, forgot the name, but
it was quite good, build quality was decent and I thought it sounded better than the Hartke 2x10 and a
Laney 2x10 (both a bit more expensive).

Just a few other cabs:
There's a cheap Gallien&Krüger cab that's pretty decent imho, and you should try to test a T.C. Electronic
BC 2x10, that cab is really good for the price you pay (279€ at Thomann), I tried it with a T.C. RH450 amp
and it sounded really good, if you're able to spend a bit more, the T.C. RS 2x10 cab is amazing, it's the
matching cab for the RH amp series, loving these amps.