Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
STAR ONE – SPACE METAL
Inside Out Music - 2002

spacemetal.gif

By Rodrigo Escandon

Space Metal has given me the biggest roller coaster ride from any recent album that I can remember. There are days when I just don’t think that this album is good at all and it is a disappointment. Then there are the others days when I think that this is such a good album. It has gone back and forth for some time now and I have finally decided how I feel about this album. It is a very good album but there are some flaws to it that prevent me from rating it higher or comparing it to Ayreon’s last two albums.

Star One is not a concept album but it is a theme based album. In this I mean that all the songs are about science fiction movies like “Star Wars”, “Alien”, “Dune” “Stargate” and “Star Trek” to name a few and even the title of the band’s project comes from an episode of Arjen’s favorite Science Fiction TV series “Blakes 7”. Now originally this album was supposed to be sung entirely by Bruce Dickinson but that did not fall through and instead Arjen used singers he has worked with in the past like Russell Allen, Damian Wilson, Floor Jansen, Robert Soeterboek and one singer he hadn’t worked with, Dan Swanö. We will never know how this album would have sounded with Bruce but all the singers do an excellent job especially Floor and Russell who both get the most singing time.

Space Metal was planned to be Arjen’s heaviest album to date and when you compare it to Ayreon then this statement is correct but I kind of expected something heavier than this. I guess since the synths and keyboards are still very prominent in the music it doesn’t sound very heavy at times but when you just talk about the guitars then there are some wicked riffs that Arjen had not played before like in “Set Your Controls”, “Master of Darkness” and “Sandrider”. So it’s probably me being picky about the “heavy factor” since I expected more so it is not really fair to knock some points over this. After all the synth arrangements are extremely cool, especially the first solo on “Set Your Controls”.

However, I can knock some points off for a couple of songs I did not like, “Songs of the Ocean”, “Perfect Survivor” and “Starchild”. Of all the “Star Trek” movies that Arjen could have chosen to write about, why did it have to be the one with the whales, #4? That’s what “Songs of the Ocean” is about and musically I just don’t like the flow of it. “Starchild” is too long, too slow and it shows how badly used Dan Swanö was for this album. Why just let him sing at the beginning and the end for a few lines? He should have sung this entire song. “Pefect Survivor” based on “Alien” just doesn’t convey the feeling of the movies for me. It sounds too “happy”.

Yet there are two strong reasons I enjoy this album, “Sandrider” and “Intergalactic Space Crusaders”. First of all they are both fast paced tunes, extremely catchy, the mix of the guitars and the synths is perfect as well as the use of the singers but once again I wish that Dan had sung more on “Sandrider” especially the choruses. But without a doubt the best song of the album is “Intergalactic Space Crusaders” (also based on “Blakes 7”) and it ranks right up there with Arjen’s best songs out of any of his projects. It has one of the best choruses I have ever heard, it had me singing it the first time I heard it, the verses sung by both Rusell and Damian provide a perfect balance and the music is just awesome. This song rules, it is that simple.

In the end, I enjoy listening to Space Metal despite the negatives I discussed. It has been released for some time so if you haven’t picked it up by now and you enjoy anything that Arjen does then this is highly recommended.

Inside Out Website
Star One/Ayreon Official Website