Starting guitar - how long to master it?

slipnuts

New Metal Member
Dec 21, 2011
Hey just started playing guitar a couple months ago and am picking it up quite fast. Ive been playing for about 2-3 hours a day and was wondering how long it will take me to be able to play almost any song i want.
My friends told me after about 3 years they were able to play pretty much any riff that they wanted to learn. Is this possible if i was a natural at it?

It takes as long as it takes. That's it. Don't rush things because you'll get frustrated. Just have perseverance and patience, and it'll come. Playing guitar is something to enjoy, so don't make it so much of a responsibility to put a time restraint on it. Also, everyone's learning curve is different. Some people require more practice than others, so there's no way to answer that question, really.

It takes as long as it takes. That's it. Don't rush things because you'll get frustrated. Just have perseverance and patience, and it'll come. Playing guitar is something to enjoy, so don't make it so much of a responsibility to put a time restraint on it. Also, everyone's learning curve is different. Some people require more practice than others, so there's no way to answer that question, really.

This.

and 3-4 years seems to be about average if you work hard atleast 2 hours a day.

In a few years you can be pretty good. To truly master it can take a lifetime. It's something where you never stop learning something new.

I read somewhere that it takes 10,000 hours of doing something to completely master it. That said those people who came up with that statistic probably weren't considering guitar where there is so much to learn. But if you give it your all and are determined to do it then you will have it in no time...

"Mastering" guitar is an impossible feat. You'll never learn everything there is to know. And unless you know other people that play instruments, forming a band is more difficult than it seems. Finding a decent drummer with be then hardest part.

It depends, if you listen to technical/prog death metal its going to take at LEAST 4 years, i'm able to play in the "style" of the bands I listen to , but I can't learn most of it by myself..

i think it's hard to say how long it takes.

it depends on how much time you spend on learning guitar and how talented you are, of course. but i think the most important thing is how hard you work on it.