Starting metal bands with unconventional instruments

dreamseed

New Metal Member
May 30, 2012
So, for awhile I've been planning on starting a blackened folk metal band. I really want to incorporate banjo as a major element in the music. If you doubt my ability to do this, take a listen to the song Myr by Taake, it has a kickass banjo solo in it.

But does anybody have experience with playing metal music with unconventional instruments? What approaches do you take to make it blend well? Is it difficult getting other musicians on board, especially the ones who are set in their traditional metal ways?

Any feedback would be cool, even if it's just about metal banjo...this is the first thread I'm posting on this forum, haven't had luck on any others.

Just write good music. use your ears. if something sounds missing, experiment until you find what works for you. It's your music, write it for you. If you think a flute will sound good in your songs, use it. Same goes for any instrument. Just don't use unconventional instruments just for the sake of using them. That's just my take on things.

Just write good music. use your ears. if something sounds missing, experiment until you find what works for you. It's your music, write it for you. If you think a flute will sound good in your songs, use it. Same goes for any instrument. Just don't use unconventional instruments just for the sake of using them. That's just my take on things.

Cool. i was thinkin of incorporating a flute Opeth-style