state of metal today?

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
It is cool to see, in general, nost of us share the same view of the scene. Personally, I think the whole "emo-core" crap can be hung out to dry. Or, better yet, take away all their money and take them from their suburbanite homes and drop them off in south central LA or the Bronx or something. Then they will see what it is like to have something to whine about!
the bronx ain't that bad, baby... especially the southern part... somehow these days i keep on listening to the old bands. i have great respect to, let's say, In Flames and Lamb Of God (especially), but at the end I prefer singing to screaming. today I kinda say to myself - wake up, the dio times are gone, get used to the newer trend... i like the newer guitar sound much more same as bass and drums than it was in 80s...but what do i know?... or what do u know?... or what do they know?.. that's right - nobody knows anything...

I don't much care for newer metal. There are a few bands who really caught my attention though. Withering Surface (rip) was fucking awesome. I don't much care for death / black metal when it comes to the vocals, but they were insane and I loved them. Shame thay broke up last year.

jpike said:
hey i watch vh1 classics metalmania all the time. man it was a whole different world back then. the days when mtv played rock/metal videos all day long. sigh.

i wish mtv still did..too much gayass hip hop

What exactly is "emo-metal"? Post-new metal like Linkin Park? The stuff on European MTV and whatnot is so generic post-nu it's sickening; reminds me of the mid-90s, when corporate radio was dominated by a thousand grunge knock-offs. Why the fuck was Bush popular?! To me, this is the corporate mainstream; by now, this pattern is to be expected.

Like every scene, there's a thriving underground, or not-quite-mainstream. Living in Europe, I see metal as thriving, based on availability of European records and the size of the festivals. Sure, in the Czech Republic it's not exactly mainstream (mainstream music is to be FEARED here), there is a thriving underground and I see metal dudes all the time. I'm sure it's because it's much smaller country than the U.S., where I know NO metal dudes. Also, I've noticed that Europeans, well Czechs at least, might like metal but listen to a wide range of stuff, like the cool guys I know from this board. But, many of my friends say "fuj", I mean, "yuck" to stuff like Iron Maiden, but like Metallica. WTF?!?!?!

So, to make a long story short, I've heard a lot of underground brutal grindcore and death metal (this scene refuses to die), new genre-defying stuff like Isis; I think there's cool shit going on. What would help the scene in the U.S. is smaller venues for bands! It seems there are very few outlets for smaller national or local bands to play at.

Drokk said:
What would help the scene in the U.S. is smaller venues for bands!
There is no help for the music scene in the US, it's way to popularised and based on material other than music.
Thank God there are cool small venues in Montreal, I've seen so many cool bands at places like The Spectrum, and The Metropolis.

Drokk said:
What exactly is "emo-metal"? Post-new metal like Linkin Park? The stuff on European MTV and whatnot is so generic post-nu it's sickening; reminds me of the mid-90s, when corporate radio was dominated by a thousand grunge knock-offs. Why the fuck was Bush popular?! To me, this is the corporate mainstream; by now, this pattern is to be expected.

Like every scene, there's a thriving underground, or not-quite-mainstream. Living in Europe, I see metal as thriving, based on availability of European records and the size of the festivals. Sure, in the Czech Republic it's not exactly mainstream (mainstream music is to be FEARED here), there is a thriving underground and I see metal dudes all the time. I'm sure it's because it's much smaller country than the U.S., where I know NO metal dudes. Also, I've noticed that Europeans, well Czechs at least, might like metal but listen to a wide range of stuff, like the cool guys I know from this board. But, many of my friends say "fuj", I mean, "yuck" to stuff like Iron Maiden, but like Metallica. WTF?!?!?!

So, to make a long story short, I've heard a lot of underground brutal grindcore and death metal (this scene refuses to die), new genre-defying stuff like Isis; I think there's cool shit going on. What would help the scene in the U.S. is smaller venues for bands! It seems there are very few outlets for smaller national or local bands to play at.

Wise words.

I might be wrong but I think the bands need to create more new material on the regular basis. Can you imagine if Zep or Grand Funk were around for over 20yrs? They would probably make 25-30 albums each. In seventies bands recorded a new album every year, very often - 2 albums per a year. Today we're all happy and jumping that Anthrax made 3(!) new songs 3(!) years after the last album was recorded.

Thrillho said:
I don't much care for newer metal. There are a few bands who really caught my attention though. Withering Surface (rip) was fucking awesome. I don't much care for death / black metal when it comes to the vocals, but they were insane and I loved them. Shame thay broke up last year.

Last thing I heard was most of the guys from WS are working on different new things, so look out!

Anyway, I think the metal scene is doing well in Europe. Great bands are coming out of places like Finland, Denmark, Norway (alot of other stuff than black metal!), and even unlikely places like Israel!
Like Drokk wrote, once you scratch the surface (oh, good ol´ SOIA! :cool: ) there´s a massive underground with a whole lot of talented bands!
Metal is very much alive and kicking, the next generation is on its way... :headbang:

I dig the extreme metal scene, myself. What I like most is with the technology out there, even the smallest band can sound like they have a gazillion dollar contract. Case in point, Hate Eternal. Their latest album sounds excellent, better than the most polished corp. album ever made. Just as long as there IS a scene, no matter how small, I will be happy. And to reply to an earlier post, "emo-core" is like Linkin Park, Deftones (newer stuff) and a whole bunch of crap to come out of Oklahoma City. If I had to decribe it, take Nirvana or Pearl Jam or something like that, and slow it to Type O Negative speed, black face fuzz distortion, and whiny vocals about nothing at all. It makes me want to slash my wrists with a dull butter knife it is so horrible. Thank GOD for true, brutal, gut hitting metal.:hotjump:

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
And to reply to an earlier post, "emo-core" is like Linkin Park, Deftones (newer stuff) and a whole bunch of crap to come out of Oklahoma City. It makes me want to slash my wrists with a dull butter knife it is so horrible.
:lol: too right! I dig Deftones' second record, though.

Metal is getting a lot more exposure in Sweden nowadays, I don´t know if it´s good or bad but the fact is that Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, In Flames, Entombed and The Haunted get a lot more exposure now than they would have 10 years ago.