Stereo image...strange thing happened..

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

Today i was mixing some songs for a band, and checking it through a Sony stereo i have below my monitors (using my Fireface OUTS into the Sony Stereo input jack). THings were normal. I bounced it, listened to it outside Nuendo, burned it on CD and decided to listen it on my Sony Stereo CD player - something i almost never do. Wow! For some reason, the stereo image was MUCH wider and kinda screwed up, because it was too different from what i listened on the daw.

So, what's the deal ? Some configuration mistake on my daw or those stereos have some kinda of image widener ? I know the DAC has differences but it was huge...

I don't really have a definitive answer, but I would not be surprised at all if the stereo has a widening stage somewhere in the circuitry. Is there some button or some setting you can turn on and off called "GROOVE" or "DEEP" or some other lame name, that could possibly be a widening effect?

There are some preset Eqs, like movie EQ, Music Eq, Rock EQ and groove...the bass seems a lot deeper and spread this way...

yeah you've most likely got a widener somewhere- I've a sony cd player that has it and its labelled SUR but it comes applied in various amount on preset settings. Movie, pops, jazz etc...

One way of telling is if you listen to what you know is panned down the centre, like lead vocal or a solo or something like that- if its kinda lost and quieter than you'd expect it to be then its probably a widener.

I think there might be some "surround" setting on the stereo system on. I've encountered this same thing once. I delivered the final cd to my client and listened to it on his cheapo stereo system and this same weird stereo widening effect happened. I looked around and he had this "surround" setting on and when I switched it off everything sounded normal again.