Steve, any chance we'll ever see you play Urotsukidoji live with TestAmenT?

one man

Jul 4, 2002
Poland
Visit site
Or have you already done it? I find this bass solo really great and would surely kill to see (or hear) a clip of you doing it. Is it just me who thinks it would be interesting to see Steve's take on this amazing song? Do you also like it, Steve or find it too simplistic :)? I'm asking, because I know TestAmenT had been doing it in the past and never heard if they did it with you.

Well I don't think so. I've asked a few times if we could add it to the set. For obvious reasons, I like that song, and would have a lot of fun playing it. But I think they shot down the idea in favor of filling the set with those oft-played "classics" YOU the fans can't live without.

I don't think you'll see bass solos or "duels" on the new album either. Better to play it "safe" don't you think? It's the metal way. Hahaha...

HippieOfDoom said:
Well I don't think so. I've asked a few times if we could add it to the set. For obvious reasons, I like that song, and would have a lot of fun playing it. But I think they shot down the idea in favor of filling the set with those oft-played "classics" YOU the fans can't live without.

I don't think you'll see bass solos or "duels" on the new album either. Better to play it "safe" don't you think? It's the metal way. Hahaha...
Another "The Gathering"???? :erk:

Show the guys your work with Death, Sadus and Vintersorg, so then they will know what bassist they have on the band :Smug:

Thanks for replying, Steve.
It's definitely sad to hear that, as I've always considered this one a true classic. I'm not certain whether the fans can't live without the "classics", though (Disciples or Over The Wall- perhaps-in case of those who don't get to see you too often). Isn't it the band that thinks ome tracks are indispensable? I know they're brilliant (but which Testa songs aren't?) and probably the most popular (but isn't it partly due to the fact that they're played so often?).
I'm aware that the band tremendousely enjoys playing these killer tunes live and playing the most well-known songs is a good way to please the majority of new and not-yet-die-hard fans, but I wouldn't mind seeing the setlist freshened up from time to time (like it was done before the last Euro-tour, but still some songs seem to be untouchable). I'm not expecting Testament to refrain from playing their favs, but a change once in a while is inevitable. I know it's not a place to mourn about that :), but I want to say that it's not US who are conservative, not ready for a change and afraid of Hippie's solos:D.
I'd surely pay a triple price to whitness a show where you guys would play the 15 least popular songs of Testament and I hope I'm not speaking only for myself...

LMFAO! Do I smell sarcasm:D? The greatest metal bass player claims there's no place for audible bass lines here:tickled: So is ITP a blues record then? Even the Greg-era Testament can be a good proof that bass playing can be easily heard in music without making it non-metal (not only Urotsukidoji). You're just teasing, cause you want us to beg you for some solos, right?....No?:erk:
I guess Mr.Sneap doesn't realize you're Steve DiGiorgio, not some "accidental guest" in the studio:)! The Gathering was arguably the best metal record of all time and it could have been perfect if the bass guitar was recorded as loud as on "Riding The Snake" everywhere, not less powerful (look at the DOA'00 clips if you haven't seen Steve live with T). Why the producers underestimate bass in metal so ofen? (they oughta check Overkill, dammit. Yeah, I know DD's the boss there...). Don't get me wrong, I still worship Andy for The Gathering production:wave:.
Or maybe you should get involved in the writing process to make sure they "remember" about you, instead of just making better what's already been written? But then again, wouldn't TestAmenT lose a part of it's spirit if it weren't Eric and Chuck who write everything...so maybe just a little short, quiet, shy solo on the new record, please:Spin:?
At least I can hope the next opportunity to fully marvel at your skills will come with the release of the Suicide Shift record (if that ever happens, that is:))
Shit, that's an elaborate post! Sorry :oops: All I wanted to say's that Testament rocks hard with you and you rock with Testament (especially live!) and I hope ya'll never leave this band...

High Priest Of Evil said:
The Gathering was arguably the best metal record of all time and it could have been perfect if the bass guitar was recorded as loud as on "Riding The Snake" everywhere, not less powerful (look at the DOA'00 clips if you haven't seen Steve live with T).
ufff i don't know how many times xSuiTommy&Mike&me discussed that!!!!

TG is a perfect record - the only weak point of that one is the fact that one cannot hear SdG clearly.
Personaly i love this record - it is mighty, it is powerful, it simply kills (xSuixTommyx is laughing at me every time we are taking a ride together in my car coz i just don't take that one out of my cassette player:)) ..but i think that i would prefer FSSD-like sound for the new one - all the instruments seem to be more balanced there, u can hear Hippie clearly .... Storm's feet work also sound really cool there!

and personaly - being a long time Testament fan i just cannot imagine T without SdG now

but i think that i would prefer FSSD-like sound for the new one
If I had to choose, I'd go for "The Gathering" type of production. The atmosphere on this one is incomparable, despite the unexposed bass guitar. It's really strong, clear. melodic and powerful. "FSSD" has a perfect production...almost too perfect. It's not dirty at all (and a metal record should have some dirt in the production, IMO). It's a little bit synthetic to me, if you know what I mean. I truly dig this record, but it's a little overproduced, loses the edge. The drums sound perfect, the bass is loud, rhytms sound fantastic and so do the leads... but there's something missing (production-wise, of course)- I sometimes get the impression that it's recorded like if there were 5 great musicians playing separately, not a band or a collective, unlike on "TG". I don't know, perhaps it's because I'm used to the shitty production of the original songs and the new versions sound too clear to me