Steve , Did you ever use a contrabass?

E

Eternal_Decadent

Hi Steve :
I just want to ask about it , did you ever practice with a contrabass ( vertical bass , violin bass)? It's often use for jazz classical music & latin music.

It's only difficult if you let be. It is a different instrument, so you have to approach it differently. What we play is called and electric bass guitar. The big boy is called (among a lot of other things) a bass cello. The two basses have the same idea, as in bass lines, tuning, fingering, etc. But they're built so differently you have to almost relearn the instrument before you start applying bass chops you're used to. I came from the other direction...I learned on the double bass and then one of the other bassists in the orchestra brought his electric to school. When I tried it, I knew it was for me. So I dropped double bass and started learning electric bass guitar.

On a side note. I mean, how many names does that fucker have?
Here's a bunch I can think of:
Double Bass
Contra Bass
Stand-Up Bass
Acoustic Bass
String Bass
Upright Bass
Bass Violin
Bass Cello
And now you guys with your Vertical Bass...!
How many more...???

Well... we have:

Monstrous with strings
Big Fuc**** Bass
Coffin with strings

:eek:

It should rule to play that in a Metal gig, banging head and soloing at 245 bpm. Or maybe using "foot finger" style...

This is for you guys who still didn't get the idea of what we are speaking of:
contrabass.jpg

:D

i like the sound of a contrabass because its more deeper sound but at the same time it lacks the fluidity of bass guitar

Originally posted by israel
This is for you guys who still didn't get the idea of what we are speaking of:
contrabass.jpg

:D
I know of two classes of double bass:
The hollow body double bass like your picture
and the solid body often used by jazzist

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
I
On a side note. I mean, how many names does that fucker have?
Here's a bunch I can think of:
Double Bass
Contra Bass
Stand-Up Bass
Acoustic Bass
String Bass
Upright Bass
Bass Violin
Bass Cello
And now you guys with your Vertical Bass...!
How many more...???

Yeah, but they're not all the same though. :p

Originally posted by Fyhed
Stanley clarke is the wizard of the acoustic/uprightbass

In fact he was quoted on saying that the electric bass is an "inferior instrument".

an idiot statement!

like al di meola saying legatos are useless!

most of the time ego kills reason!

:lol:

Ask Charles Mingus, he plays it cool :loco:
After having played 4 string, 5 string fretless, 6 string, 4 string piccolo bass and 4 string accoustic, I wouldn't mind trying that one too, but I guess it's way different than the others. I'd love to play a DeArmond Ashbory bass one day too, but noone wants to order it when I'm not sure about buying it :Smug: