Steve, I've got a question...

Corpsebass

New Metal Member
Hello Steve! You're one of the best bass players I've ever heard and you're a great influence on my own playing man, I really appreciate what you have done!! I was wondering how long ago it was when you started playing bass and what was your motivation? Did you take any serious lessons?

Cheers from Russia:headbang:

Thank you very much for those awesome compliments!

I think I started playing electric bass guitar about 25 years ago. My main motivation was mostly enjoying the sound of that particular instrument and enjoying what some bass players were doing with it in a hard rock and heavy metal context. I always admired jazz bassits when I was real young, but when I got into metal at a little older age, I knew I had to try to be like those guys one day.

I never had some serious lessons on bass. I played in school bands on other instruments and knew pretty well some music theory and fundamentals. Switching to bass guitar was easy enough once I got used to the strings and intonation. I just mostly learned the bass lines to my favorite albums after school and eventually came up with my own ideas.

And still, I try...
SDG