Steve Harris

Silverhaze

Little Piggy Slasher
May 12, 2002
Visit site
When I was young (100's of years ago) I thought Steve Harris was the bass god (well...Geezer Butler was god, but Steve was close), but now I'm having second thoughts. I've picked up a couple of Maiden cd's since "Piece of Mind" and I hear the same thing over and over. Just a bunch of galloping E's, A's, G's, etc. He isn't really doing anything that spectacular. I know a lot of people still hold him up as a great bass player....but I've become bored with it.

Maybe the stuff I listen to now is just full of exceptional bass players (being a bass fan), but I'd like to hear why Steve is held in such high regard. I know this won't be a popular point of view, but it makes for good chit chat :D .

Remind me why I dug him so much...

He may not be the fastest, most complex, or technically proficient, but he wrote some good bass lines back in the days of the first wave of original Heavy Metal.

Sure, he doesn't really hold a candle to Steve D, or the bass players like the guy from Suffocation or Cryptopsy, but he's great by his own right.

I've got the first 3 maiden CDs, and was a huge fan in the 80's, but not so much now... I still respect the guy

Originally posted by xenophobe
He may not be the fastest, most complex, or technically proficient, but he wrote some good bass lines back in the days of the first wave of original Heavy Metal.

Sure, he doesn't really hold a candle to Steve D, or the bass players like the guy from Suffocation or Cryptopsy, but he's great by his own right.

I've got the first 3 maiden CDs, and was a huge fan in the 80's, but not so much now... I still respect the guy

I agree with this word for word. Listen to the first 3 Maiden albums. That's were he build his reputation.

back then his bass playing was phenomenal, now so many bass players covered his style and improved it. besides, one must not be technically superb to be a good musician, you just need the right feeling.

look at people like malmsteen or satch - technically perfect, but boring as fuck...

I dunno, there's bits you pick up on the later things that make you go :eek: and you notice more than the standard gallops. I remember focussing on the bass in the intro of Infinite Dreams and thought "spook! where'd he think of that?!"

The semi-acoustic intro to Blood On The World's Hands is dirt tuff also,

It's his playing but there is more to it than that. I also think it's because of what he's done with Maiden. It was his drive that got them where they are and as long as Steve is a part of it (and to a lesser extent Dave) Maiden will always be Maiden and will always have that distinct sound, no matter who else comes and goes.

I guess I should back up a little. I was an Iron Maiden freak from the moment the s/t come out till after "Piece of Mind". Actually, I liked Powerslave too, I just never owned it. I still have the "Killers" tapestry hanging from the ceiling of my guitar room, plus I used to have all the old shirts and even a jacket. Then I got into Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Venom & Voivod at that time and Iron Maiden wasn't brutal enough for me after that.

Anyway, I just picked up the "Brave New World" cassette (cassette! :eek: It was $4.00 at Walmart, so I just picked it up to throw in the Jeep), and all I can notice is the bass is the same 'ol thing throughout practically. And it also reminded me of every other later day Iron Maiden song. I heard people calling "BNW" one of the best cd's of last year, but it just doesn't do a thing for me. And I found myself wondering why I ever thought Steve was such an elite bass player.

I suppose time IS the reason. I listen to bands like Solace and The Atomic Bitchwax now who's bass players more suit my tastes. Plus, I play guitar a lot better than I did 15+ years ago, so maybe I'm just not as easily impressed. I figured there would be an onslaught of Iron Maiden fans attacking me, but everybody so far has been pretty cool. More comments on his writing contribution than his playing (which is really what I was questioning). Maybe I just worshipped him a little more than he deserved. I guess it's just time for me to let Iron Maiden go for good.

Originally posted by Stormbringer
is there anything you would like to tell us bass players?? ;)

Oh....I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I'll reply anyway :D .

My advice to bass players is to learn bass, and I mean really learn it. Strive to be the one in the band people get blown away by. Lots of bass runs. Keep busy!

I only say that because I'm really a bass freak. A great bass player can make an average band an exceptional one IMO. It's all about rhythm man!! Rock on!

It's all a matter of taste Silverhaze, and you're allowed to change your tastes whenever you like :) You're not obliged to stay loyal to one band if they 'don't do anything' for you anymore.

I understand what you're saying about Maiden, but I guess for me, it's the fact that they're not complex that I like. Sometimes less is more.

And I agree - BNW is waaay overhyped. Half of the songs on that album are utter shit and Janick Gers should have his fingers removed permanently. He is the thorn in Maiden's side as far as I'm concerned.

Bruce was better solo because Chemical Wedding is a classic. BNW is forgotten already IMO. It's not exactly Somewhere in Time or Powerslave. I do think they can get back to that level, but Steve Harris needs to let the other band members have some input, and not just wait for Janick Gers to add a riff line to his bass routines.

Originally posted by Silverhaze
Oh....I'm not sure if that was directed at me or not, but I'll reply anyway :D .

nah i meant jaykeelay on his post above mine but never mind ;)

i may not be one of the best bassists, but i am one of the fastest (and i do finger picking only) :lol:

something our band is known for - quite loud and fast bass. oh and did i mention we do punkrock/hardrock? ;)

Well, back in the day that he was starting off, Iron Maiden, Killers and Number of the Beast, not too many bass players were so proficient at metal bass.

If you were around back then, Steve Harris was the inspiration to bassists like Eddie Van Halen was to the guitar.

Since then many people have gotten much more technically complex and faster, but when you boil it all down, you can thank Steve Harris for some of that.... Cause he was the inspiration to a whole generation of bass players.

Originally posted by Stormbringer
nah i meant jaykeelay on his post above mine but never mind ;)

oh sorry - I missed that.

My point was, for a bass player to write a song like 'Phantom' that is so 6-string guitar oriented is fantastic. All the triads/triplets and harmonies are phenomenal (listen to the way Steve backs up the harmonies on Live After Death just after the 'interlude' on Phantom).

I'm not trying to imply that bass players can't contribute - I just think that Steve Harris proves that he's generally a good musician overall. If he can put together the percussion, bass, guitar harmonies, lyrics etc. then you know he must be doing something right because Maiden are just so damn good.

On the other hand, you can take a proficient bass player who is very technical etc, but a good song is dependant on the song writing - not just the way it's played.

For the record, I think Les Claypool, Flea, Stu Hamm, Geezer Butler, and Steve Harris are all equals (and all radically different for the most part).