Steven Wilson tastes in music

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Being into Porcupine Tree since a couple of days now (and completly fell in love with them), After browsing their website for a while, I was quite surprise with Steven Wilson (former member of the band) taste in music.

here's a few:

Korn
System of a Down
Beach Boys
etc.

No big deal, I was just suprise...

Hey, changso!

Interesting....Steve Wilson listens to Korn? Really? Man, I'm not into them at all (though, I was back in the days....). And, haven't heard System of the Down yet (heard they're alright...) and Beach Boys....well, I don't know......

I really gotta check out Porcupine Tree, though....I have been meaning to for quite some time now.....

Well, out of nu-metal bands, System of a down and Korn are both very unique and quite good. Though korn isn't unique anymore, but they pretty much spawned a genre.

I second that. I'm also curious about the new Korn album.

You really should give Porcupine Tree a try, Alcapoth. Their music is very emotionnal and brilliant...Kind of remind me Pink Floyd and Tool. It's not metal though, but so damn good. They count in my favorite groups now.

about the Beach Boys, Steven Wilson even mention its counting among its favorite album of all time...

he're a quote by Steven Wilson taken from the official Porcupine Tree forum...
Dear Eduardo

My favourite albums change every week. If you check my own website at www.nomansland.demon.co.uk you can see what is on my current playlist at any time. At the moment I'm listening to Sun Ra, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Scorn, Morbid Angel and Underworld. As for my favourite albums of all time that would be an impossible task, but I think albums by Nick Drake, Talk Talk, Miles Davis, Neu!, Tangerine Dream, Autechre, The Beach Boys, XTC, Arvo Part, Hawkwind, Yes, Mehsuggah and Red House Painters would all be in strong contention.

Peace,

SW

It feels like "Porcupine Tree" gets popular here just beacause what Mikael has said about them.
I think you would have placed them in the commercial pop category if you have heard them first on MTV or radio.

To me...they are pop.

And I think you can find greatness in almost every band if you just hear it and look for something to like in them.

But then, I can be very wrong about this.

your very right, but being 'pop' doesnt mean somethings crap, i mean what the fuck man. why should a band being in a certain genre make them crap, or good? im not a big fan or anything, but some of the stuff i've heard is good, reminds me of old Muse and Radiohead.

if you like porcupine tree d/l : Muse - Filip , or sober. really good songs, really good album, but for a band that havent changed too much the new stuff is really dissapointing, so far as to say shit...oh and Steve Wilson done a great job on BWP, so whats there to complain about...

its just you said.

''to me they are pop''.

i mean why bother then? but i think in a way your right, people would never have listened to them if not for the opeth connection, some would have anyway.

Their last 2 studio albums (Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun) definitely have moments/songs that are "poppy", but by and large I don't think they are pop albums. I would consider them to be a more accesible form of prog rock, that has a hint of brit-pop. Their earlier albums have almost nothing to do with popular music, except for some isolated songs (though On the Sunday of Life is somewhat poppy in places), being more psychadelic (OTSOL, Up the Downstair) or Prog Rock (The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify). Either way, despite their classification, I find them to be a great band and one of my very favorites. I can't wait for their major label debut in September!!

Another band that Mikael likes a lot that doesn't get much mention around here is the Ozric Tentacles. The fucking RULE! They're one of my new favorite bands now (and yes, I was getting into them before I heard Mikael liked them, so there...)

Check out anything by them. They're basically a psychedelic prog jam band, they're known to play up to 8 hour concerts, as they just keep going till they stop. They have a cult following in Europe, and play some amazing stuff.