Stiletto VS Rectifier cabinet?

recycle

Sep 12, 2007
Norway
Hi,

I am about to purchase a new 4X12 cabinet, and I`ve been offered a second hand Stiletto cab for a descent prize, but Im also offerd second hand Recto cab but at a higher prize...
It will be mostly used for recording... Is there any major difference between these two?
Which one would you guys go for?

Thanks!

I have the stilleto, but used rectifier cabs many, many times.

Stilleto: Tad smaller size, not as deep on the lows. Has a focused midrange, reminiscent of some Marshall cabs.
Recto: Bigger, very deep lows, more scooped.

I A/B'd them just recently and decided on the Rectumfryer. To me, the Stilleto had annoyingly piercing highs in comparison to the Rec, whereas the Rec had a much louder and thicker bass and midrange. I'm not sure which one would sit better in a mix, but solo'd the Rec sounded way-the-hell better to my ears. As Proggm said, it's also bigger, so make sure it will fit in whatever you're driving before dropping any coin on it.

I have a Mesa Traditional Slant cab, which to my knowledge is the same as the Stiletto cab (I just bought it before they renamed it). I also owned a Mesa Rectifier cab for a couple of years.

After I moved into my studio, I ended up selling the Rectifier cab. Compared to the Mesa, it seemed overly bassy/muddy, while the Traditional was much more focused and had better midrange.

My two cents...

I have a Mesa Traditional Slant cab, which to my knowledge is the same as the Stiletto cab (I just bought it before they renamed it). I also owned a Mesa Rectifier cab for a couple of years.

After I moved into my studio, I ended up selling the Rectifier cab. Compared to the Mesa, it seemed overly bassy/muddy, while the Traditional was much more focused and had better midrange.

My two cents...

I agree. I prefer the sound of my Traditional 4x12 over my 2x12 Rectifier cab.

I agree. I prefer the sound of my Traditional 4x12 over my 2x12 Rectifier cab.

I assume that's a typo? :loco: If not, you've gotta try a Recto 4x12, I so much prefer it to the Stiletto it's ridiculous (I would say it has just the right amount of mids, whereas to me the Stiletto has way too much that make it feel dense and stuffy)

Marcus, how many other amps have you actually played through a Rectifier cab aside from your old Dual and your friends Roadster? Some amps sound better through some cabs. My shootout (which I accidentally lost files for) showed a very minute difference between similar material/size wise cabinets (the Avatar vs the Mesa). They were changes that could have been accounted for with equalization or possibly mic movement.

-

Just the dual and Roadster, but I've heard more than enough clips through Recto cabs of tons of other amps (especially 5150's) to know the differences between the two are substantial and consistent (as I often still here very similar characteristics). Who knows as to the differences with the Avatar, it's of course a different cab than the Stiletto.