Traditional vs Standard Rectifer Cabinet?

it wasn't the fact that I didn't have an OD on it, it wasn't that kind of tone, it just all over didn't have balls to it. With my 5150 when I don't have an OD on it sounds mushy, but still has balls and still can saturate hard without one, the roadster had that tinny black metal/old school slayer vibe to it. It didn't absolutely crush which took my by surprise. The tone was great it just didn't sound absolutely huge

EDIT: I will also add that I played around with it a bit, messed with the rectifier settings, power settings and the high and low power (spongy and bold) and the different channel voicing, it was either really small sounding or extremely boomy/wooly. I didn't really crank it but again compared to my 5150 it just didn't saturate with as much aggression and that's with no OD on my 5150 and I have JJs all across the preamp so its a muddy mess, I find it amazing that that mud mess that I have can still saturate with more clarity and have way more balls than the tightness of what the roadster had.

Maybe it was the EL34's or the fact that I didn't get it to a loud volume but I would imagine that a roadster on a mesa 412 should sound much ballsier than a 5150 on a 212

I'm telling you man, for whatever reason it's just really hard to saturate a Rectifier without an OD; it's a different design from your 5150 so you can't expect it to compare, and yes, I remember when I played a Roadster without an OD I too found it rather dense and unsaturated sounding, and ditto with my 2 ch. Dual Rec - again, don't rule out the amp until you play it on modern mode, diodes, bold, and with an OD! (and the Stiletto cab certainly doesn't help the wooly factor either)

I'm telling you man, for whatever reason it's just really hard to saturate a Rectifier without an OD; it's a different design from your 5150 so you can't expect it to compare, and yes, I remember when I played a Roadster without an OD I too found it rather dense and unsaturated sounding, and ditto with my 2 ch. Dual Rec - again, don't rule out the amp until you play it on modern mode, diodes, bold, and with an OD! (and the Stiletto cab certainly doesn't help the wooly factor either)

ok cool I understand the saturation part. Still don't understand the lack of low end from the Roadster though, I did play side by side with a Dual Rec a few weeks ago (without an OD) and it made my cabinet feel inadequate which lead me to my shopping around for new gear and the Dual rec had more balls than my setup. So my logic is that if a dual rec had more balls and aggression than a 5150, why in the hell would a 5150 have more low end than a roadster if the roadster and dual rec are so similar.

I really do love the tone of the roadster, the grind and crunch (and lack of fizz) of the distortion was exactly what I am lacking with my 5150 (or from my cab, will find out when it get an OS). I will shop around when it comes to heads for a long time, but I have the Dual Rec, Roadster, Mark V, Uberschall and Savage all on my list to try (and abuse the fuck out of) before I make my decision.

Yeah, lack of low end I have no explanation for, as that's definitely not a problem with any Rectifier, so my guess is something might have been amiss with the amp!

Yeah, lack of low end I have no explanation for, as that's definitely not a problem with any Rectifier, so my guess is something might have been amiss with the amp!

It wouldn't be the first time a Roadster came from the factory with dead/dodgy tubes, maybe that had something to do with it.

ok that mught be it. The first time I played a Krank, actually two the Rev and Stein they both sounded like they were being played through a tin can cabinet (the Rev sounded like it had a high pass of at least 5k, nothing but fizz) and I thought for years that they sucked until I played a Stein last year and was blown away. So I figured that its was the tubes and not the amp, that may be the case with the Roadster, it was a used piece along with the cabinet at Guitar Center so that may have something to do with it.

@marcus: you prefer the roadster to the 2 channel DR? I could pick up a roadking with an oversized cab cheap right now, maybe I should say fuck the 2 chan, and grab the road king. then again, I always preferred my DR to the RK for some reason... maybe because my DR is retubed...

OP: get the oversized version. if you get the stilletto, you might as well just buy a marshall 4x12. recto/5150 + mesa oversized = godly tone

edit: ooohhh yeah the OD pedal will bring out the qualities you are missing in the roadster. makes a world of difference. I found the roadking to have more gain then the dual rec. but when you turn a rectos gain past 1 or 2 oclock, it tends to get way too soggy

Liam, yeah, I'm pretty certain I do - I've played a Roadster multiple times and heard it played live, and all those times it sounded amazing, and while I was only able to mic one up once and thus couldn't really tweak the settings, it definitely had promise! Basically, from my impressions and all I've heard, it's the Rectifier sound, just slightly darker, so none of that 6k fizz that drove me to ditch my 2 ch! Now I just need $1500 for one :loco: And I'm pretty sure the Road King is similar to the Roadster in tone, but I don't know for certain (and it's a maintenance nightmare apparently, with all the crap going on in it :lol: ) However, if the RK is cheap, I think I'd have to say go for it, if nothing else cuz you'll probably be able to sell it for a profit later on! :headbang: