Still messing around with Gearbox/MetalFoundry

the song itself is rocks, bu the guitars miss some freqs and have strange highs i think
drums sound cool though! :headbang:

The mix sounds kinda thin. The guitars are fizzy and trebly and have few lowmids.. I don't think you'll ever get good results with Gearbox :/ Try out some of the free amp sims available.

Drums aren't great, kinda boxy. The bass isn't really filling up the mix either, its just there.. mostly in the lowmids. Needs some more lows and some more highs.

I really really dug the songwriting in the intro, btw, that sounded awesome.

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah Gearbox kinda sucks, but I've already been experimenting with free VSTs and they all sounded even worse :S
Don't know what to say about the drums/bass, as I'm still wrestling to find a decent tone for them. Drums sound either too roomy or too boxy, that's kinda weird :S And bass, well it's the realy first time I record some using Gearbox, sounds kinda weak yeah...
But still, Gearbox can make some good stuff, if you know how to configure it.
Anyway, thanks, I think I'll focus on the guitar and bass tone, as even if drums sound boxy, I think they'll do the trick for now :p (besides I don't even know what to change to improve the sound)

if you like the guitarsounds in this post
->http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...2458-tsx-x30-thread-post-your-clips-here.html

& if you know how to use impulsefiles u should check out this free awesome free VST guitar preamp
->http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/plugins.html

maybe gives u better results

Yeah I've already tried the TSE X30 but couldn't get a good tone out of it. I'll try again :) But about the tone you gave, sorry but I don't like it, sounds weak and fizzy to me, kinda like Gearbox's tones :S
I prefer the tone in this post, sounds way better in my opinion
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/542659-new-long-song-tse-x30-superior2-soloc.html

Yeah I've already tried the TSE X30 but couldn't get a good tone out of it. I'll try again :) But about the tone you gave, sorry but I don't like it, sounds weak and fizzy to me, kinda like Gearbox's tones :S
I prefer the tone in this post, sounds way better in my opinion
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/542659-new-long-song-tse-x30-superior2-soloc.html

I didn't really refer to the sound i gave but to the samples of the thread in general ;)
the sound i gave was my 1st shot at the X30 (downloaded it 2 minutes before hehe) and then played around for 10 minutes or so...and i've had worst results with more time spend, so what im trying to say is that it HAS got a lot of power...which was impressivly shown by the sound u liked (thnx btw, didnt come across that one yet :headbang: )
sooooo yeah...i guess i would also go for that one if i knew what the did there ;)

I didn't really refer to the sound i gave but to the samples of the thread in general ;)
the sound i gave was my 1st shot at the X30 (downloaded it 2 minutes before hehe) and then played around for 10 minutes or so...and i've had worst results with more time spend, so what im trying to say is that it HAS got a lot of power...which was impressivly shown by the sound u liked (thnx btw, didnt come across that one yet :headbang: )
sooooo yeah...i guess i would also go for that one if i knew what the did there ;)

No don't get me wrong, I was speaking about killzone666's tone, I didn't see that you also posted one! Yeah your tone sounds great, I'll definitely try TSE X30 again, seems like you can get some realy good stuff out of it :)

No don't get me wrong, I was speaking about killzone666's tone, I didn't see that you also posted one! Yeah your tone sounds great, I'll definitely try TSE X30 again, seems like you can get some realy good stuff out of it :)

ah, misunderstood that, sry ;)

it sounds quite decent on its own, but i cant get it sit well in my mixes. maybe it works better for you bro.
cheers

Guitars sound a bit fizzy, but I think the drums sound great. Maybe make the toms a bit more roomy (I think they're a bit underprocessed at the moment), but the kick, snare and overheads sound great to me. Bass fills out the mix nicely too.

Are the drums all SD2 MF? Or is anything replaced? Either way, I'm digging them.

Bobby

Make sure you'll download version 1.5 (beta) ;) I haven't made it official yet, but you'll find the download link in the X30 thread.. There's some big improvements on that one compared to the last three updates(!) It might be the final version:saint:

Make sure you'll download version 1.5 (beta) ;) I haven't made it official yet, but you'll find the download link in the X30 thread.. There's some big improvements on that one compared to the last three updates(!) It might be the final version:saint:

didnt see that, thnx, hopefully i can make it sit better in my mixes :headbang:

Love those drums.

As Mago already said : "the guitars miss some freqs and have strange highs i think".

Sounds like you EQ-ed/processed the guitars a tad too much.

Not realy overprocessed, just messed up with the original tone :p, will have to work on that!

Guitars sound a bit fizzy, but I think the drums sound great. Maybe make the toms a bit more roomy (I think they're a bit underprocessed at the moment), but the kick, snare and overheads sound great to me. Bass fills out the mix nicely too.

Are the drums all SD2 MF? Or is anything replaced? Either way, I'm digging them.

Bobby

Yep, MF only, didn't want to switch between VST's ^^. I'll check on the toms! Thanks!

Thanks! I'll go download it right now!!

didnt see that, thnx, hopefully i can make it sit better in my mixes :headbang:

You're welcome! :) I'm gonna work on the X30, I recently manage to get pretty cool tones using LeCab and Catharsis impulses.

I am going to do what always happens when I comment on rate threads and go against the grain. The mix sounds very nice, pretty thick, no fizz.

Depending on some personal preferences, some could think that the high mids are up a bit too high in the guitars, however I think they are fine, but you can cut some of the high mids to soften up the sound. As for the fizz, if the guitars were high shelfed or high passed anymore they would be too dark.

The drums sound killer however for my personal preference the snare is too quiet and too dark

Not really an issue that needs any concern but the bass should have a bit of saturation, to the point of slight breakup, a slight boost in the highs, a cut in the guitars fundamental frequency (low mids) and a boost in the bass fundamentals. and then bring up the volume slightly lower than the drum volume. Should give you some more punch.

Other than that the mix is fine, there could be some improvements but it sounds killer.

I am going to do what always happens when I comment on rate threads and go against the grain. The mix sounds very nice, pretty thick, no fizz.

Depending on some personal preferences, some could think that the high mids are up a bit too high in the guitars, however I think they are fine, but you can cut some of the high mids to soften up the sound. As for the fizz, if the guitars were high shelfed or high passed anymore they would be too dark.

The drums sound killer however for my personal preference the snare is too quiet and too dark

Not really an issue that needs any concern but the bass should have a bit of saturation, to the point of slight breakup, a slight boost in the highs, a cut in the guitars fundamental frequency (low mids) and a boost in the bass fundamentals. and then bring up the volume slightly lower than the drum volume. Should give you some more punch.

Other than that the mix is fine, there could be some improvements but it sounds killer.

I think I'll still work on the guitar tone but thanks for all your advices, I think they'll help me a lot! :)