Sting

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
A lot of people have been asking for bands that have the same vibe as Katatonia, I've seen Red House Painters recommended a lot, but I also think people really need to check out Sting's album The Soul Cages. It is really one of the most depressing pieces of music I've ever heard (Sting himself suffers from Bi-Polar disorder).

Some songs to check out:

Island Of Souls
The Wild, Wild Sea
Mad About You
The Soul Cages
When Angels Fall

Also, on the topic of recommendations, Ulver is incredible. Their earlier work is all very raw black metal, but their newer stuff (my favourite is Perdition City and The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell) is all a mix of dark Trip-Hop/Industrial and Ambience.

Definitely when I come to Katatonia similar bands, I may think about non metal bands, even songwriters, like Nick Drake or Jeff Buckley, just check out "So real" in Grace album by Buckley, and it is difficult not to think on Katatonia's Last Fair Deal album. even "Camera Obscura" or some David Sylvian pieces are in such a Katatonia's mood that make you doubt about the convention of genre's, however I found a band called "Songs of Ohia" that plays songs about ghosts and all that eerie mood,So I think it is a good idea to look forward listening to them, if you like Katatonia you'll like them