STOMP 442 STORY some info please

xarchx

punk rock love god
Feb 6, 2002
walsall, england
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what happened between anthrax and elektra records over the stomp 442 album , as i've never heard what really happened and would like to know , it never really got explained over here in the uk as the press was to busy kissing korn's fucking ass at the time .

The story is explained in the liner notes that came with the expanded edition of Stomp 442 and Sound of White Noise. Basically, when Time/Warner took over Elektra, they essentially cleaned house so to speak, and got rid of all the people who were at Elektra when Anthrax were signed and these were the people that worked hard at promoting White Noise. So Anthrax really had no label support for Stomp 442. The two parties mutually agreed to part ways. Anthrax took with them thier masters and a load of $$$$$$ (the album advances that they would have recieved) and Elektra had thier hands clean of a metal band they felt they did not want. Anthrax had an offer from Mercury in 1996, but did not take it....we know the rest of the label stories though right???

not really anthrax are ignored by the press over here (hello kerrang) as they are not trendy nu-metal what happened over vol8 and ignition and killer A's and beyond please tell me more

Man, what am I, Anthrax's publicist?:D Well, rather than go with another major (mercury) where the band was afraid they would get buried again, they went with an indie, but an indie that they thought had thier shit together, and an indie with major distribution. Man, this deal wound up sucking. Tommy Boy records decided they wanted a hard rock label. Two guys who used to run Polygram back in the 80's hey day (they had the scorps, bon jovi, def leppard, and of course :worship: kiss) wanted to run a label with thier expertise. The label was Ignition. To be run by the guys from Polygram back in the day, and to be an offshoot of Tommy Boy. The label needed a flagship band to anchor it, as most acts would be new groups, so they signed Anthrax. Well, midway thru the "tour of terror" in late 1998, Ignition lost it's funding, and alas, Anthrax had no label. And apparently they do not have the rights to Volume 8: The Threat Is Real , as you can not get rights from a label that no longer exists :loco: I'm no expert, and I don't manage bands, but I remember reading an interview where Scott pretty much said we turned down Mercury to get a label like Ignition, and I was thinking "not wise fellas" and then the label folded. They then signed with another indie, but this one is sort of pseudo major: Beyond, with distribution thru RCA. Beyond has a decent stable of bands (Motley Crue, Veruca Salt, Yes) but Attack of the Killer A's , seemed to have no label support at all, none. I don't remember seeing any print ads at all. Come to think of it, I've never seen a Beyond ad for anything save for maybe some ads when Motley Crue released thier last album. Anthrax re-issued Stomp and Noise thru Beyond, but then decided they wanted a different label (negotiations for their newest record stalled for ever and ever, and I think Anthrax felt they weren't gonna get the support they wanted) So now they are with Sanctuary.

Originally posted by nafnikufesin
xarch, is the quote in your sig from "Mallrats"? It sounds familiar.

TD - I wonder if your post should be cut and paste onto the Anthrax website, so you don't have to repeat yourself so often... :)

Yeah I know! Ya know, sometimes I think the whole "elektra didn't support us thing" is a little bit of bunk. Sure, they didn't bend over backwards for stomp, but metal was dead as hell anyway. No Headbangers Ball being the hugest problem. Plus, radio wouldn't touch metal, which was a shame, because "Nothing" and "Fueled" were really radio friendly. Anyway, my point about promotion for that album is this: It get just as much, if not more promotion than any metal album would have in 1995:
  • Full page ad in Billboard, and an article
  • Name on cover of Rolling Stone, nice two page spread article, and a favorable review
  • Appearance on Newsradio
  • Appearance on F/X Afterbreakfast
  • Appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien (actually two appearances)
  • Live performance on MuchMusic

Plus, MTV did actually air both videos from that album (late at night of course)
That is more promotion than Vol. 8 and Killer A's combined!! Granted, a lot of this was probably done by management. But my point is, Elektra would not have made that album go platinum or anything anyway..