Stormsterk

Windvang

Folkrocker
Ok, the musicians thread is not working for me. And like Elvina said, this is a better idea.

I am curious what you think about my new project called Stormsterk. We play kind of folk rock in our native tongue. When you like bands like Otyg, Folque, or Storm you probably will like this.

http://www.myspace.com/stormsterk

We put 3 songs online. The writing/recording procedure is going really quick and we think to finish our album 'Het Wild en Bijster Land' in the beginning of 2010.

i forgot to comment it on myspace. i've seen you're the same two guys as faelwa :)
i didn't know that you sing!!!! i haven't noticed it on faelwa maybe because there are not so many singed parts :lol:
i like it, to be honest more than the other group, it's more in my chords. nice folk happy music :)
but sounds strange to hear something sung in dutch, i'm not used to that :loco:

but..what the hell were you doing with the bow on the bass? :lol: are you able to use it that way? guitar strings are all on the same level so you're forced to play all the strings together.....while with violin or cello you can play a single string, or al least 2 strings together.

Good you like it :) Well, I also sing in Faelwa but not on so many parts indeed. On the new songs there is more space for my vocals. The new songs are promising so far but will be in the same mood as the older stuff, dark en melancholic. :)

I played with the bow on the bass on the song 'Schemering' which we also put online now! It's a nice song but not so happy music! ;) I think it's perfect for a funeral hehehe
I only used the lowest string in this song. It's only one tone, like a 'drone' to add much atmosphere.
It's a nice way to play the guitar or bass when you want to create a dark landscape. I was inspired by bands like 16 Horsepower, Led Zeppelin and my roommate! :)

Well, you also can strike all the strings at the same time. Then you get a lot of weird sounds next to the tones or chords you're playing. :)
You don't play cello anymore?

i had to quite because of work.
cello needs a lot of practice, if you want to play it seriously. at least 3 hours a day.
i studied at the conservatory for two years, then i was in need to work and i wasn't able to reconcile work, lessons, and study. some days i had lessons in both the morning and the afternoon. the conservatory is not in my city, so i needed to take the train, and spent the whole day there, studying in the pauses. as you can understand there's no free time left for work.
cello isn't an instrument you can play alone, at the beginning. you costantly need someone on your side which gives you advices on where you're doing wrong, so it wasn't possible to continue it by myself after only 2 years of study. there are some positions you are told at only the 3rd or 5th year of study :zombie:

Great, sounds really good!! Really folkish and also a bit dark indeed, congratulations! I liked Schemering the most :p (but they are all good ;D)

Stormsterk was really good! :headbang:
The first song was the least good IMO though. I would move one of the other two up first instead. But it's just my opinion though...
Looking forward to hear more from you. Keep it up!

Congratulations there man, you made a really good stuff! I specially like "Wild en Bijster Land", although I don't understand a single word, hahaha. Hopefully you translate the lyrics whenever you finish the thing.

By the way, what does "Veluwish" means?

Jaunty: "1. Having a buoyant or self-confident air; brisk."

Nice history here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/jaunty

What a nice word to use when talking about Stormsterk! :) We should use it in a biography! ;)

By the way, what does "Veluwish" means?

Well, I was born and grew up in a area called 'Veluwe'. Jasper was born in Norway but also grew up in this area. In my opinion it's the most beautyful part of the Netherlands. Almost all Dutch forests (what isn't much) lays on the Veluwe.

On the album we are working on, a lot of the lyrics are about 'Veluwish' folklore and nature. I don't know if it's a good word to describe our music. We both don't live in this area anymore because of studying. And when you listen to the melody's you hear a lot of Scandinavian folk music influences. Maybe 'Jaunty folk rock' is a better description! ;)

I wish I can experience the feeling when listen to the Dutch language without understand it. :)

Hehe, same here with Swedish :p

Same here with English! :loco: (Though a lot of people know at least a smattering of English around the world.)

That why I love music in foreign languages so much.

And, oh yeah - feel free to use 'Jaunty'! I'm glad you like the term so!

I'll talk to Jasper about it, Qu Appelle. :)

When I am outside the Netherlands most reactions about the Dutch language are not that positive. And there is also a difference for me when hearing another language from someone who is singing or talking. I really like languages like Italian or Finnish, totally different I know, but they are both sounding melodic to me. Swedish, Norse or Dutch are sounding more sturdy.