Strange Sound on Guitars?

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
Hey GUIZE
I recently made this thread (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/796793-urgent-reamping.html) about reamping some DI's, and i ended up using the tracks i'd acquired by the end of the thread just until i get a chance to reamp through my 5150, as they're not that great.

But recently while mixing the song, i noticed in this segment of the song (its 15 minutes) that some strange shit that initially sounds like phasing, seems to happen on ALL the guitar tracks, hence it being something in the DI, but apparently both left and right takes, which is quite unusual.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8740721/samguitarphase.mp3

Any ideas?

Phase issues in reamping might come from
1)Cables
2)DI
3)Fades
4)Small delays on the Computer during reamping
I reamped the guitars for my album and i didn't have any serious problems
1080 for best quality

Last edited by a moderator:
That definitely sounds like someone messing with EQ in real time to me. A small bandwidth, large boost that is being moved around in the high frequencies.

Well it's a 15 minute song, two DI's were taken, each reamped through the 2 amps, so 4 tracks in total, and the effect only happens at that part, but it's on all 4 tracks, so i'm guessing it's likely to be in the DI's of them both.
But it's just strange that it supposedly happens on the exact same part on both DI's.
The reamping was done on different days with different equipment and cables, so hence the confusion.
I haven't reamped again yet, but i'ill find out for sure when i do. I think i'll just have to find a different area of the song when those riffs are played and just paste them ontop as I don't have any other option.

Are these tracks you got from someone else? How do the DIs sound at this part of the song? Sounds to me like someone is messing with an EQ in realtime. Doesn't really sound like a problem with the DIs but more like a problem with the recording.

Stuff like this also happens when you have multiple mics summed to mono which are perfectly in phase and then one of them moves back or forth and creates phasing.

I only used one sm57 on each amp when reamping, so no phasing from other mics.

Any idea I had seems to have been disproved since finding out it's happening on all the tracks

That definitely sounds like someone messing with EQ in real time to me. A small bandwidth, large boost that is being moved around in the high frequencies.

Agreed. Sounds like someone was moving a narrow band eq with alot of gain up and down. What DAW I have had issues where a daw would automate things that I never automated. Maybe there is an automated eq somewhere in there.