Stratovarius confirm rare/exclusive material for ProgPower USA

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
We are very proud to announce that Finnish Power Metal legends Stratovarius have confirmed two Canadian shows. They will happen right after their appearance at Prog Power festival on September 12, 2014.

Prog Power was originally an exclusive North America appearance. As the opportunity to visit their Canadian fans again was a rare and very appealing opportunity for Stratovarius, Glenn Harveston of Prog Power has kindly confirmed that he is releasing the band from this exclusivity requirement.

The Prog Power 2014 tickets were sold out a long time ago, and as compensation to any fans who bought tickets because the band’s gig was announced as an exclusive, Stratovarius promise to at least play some exclusive and rare song material at the festival to make it a memorable experience.

http://www.twisted-talent.com/

Nice. Hopefully the give us time to get back, so we can go to the show.

Too bad Sonata/Delain/Xandria are playing Toronto during ProgPower.

Stratovarius playing rare and exclusive material, eh? I think I found my favorite set of the whole festival.

It sounds like they made sure it was ok to break their exclusivity, which is awesome of them. It's also very cool of them to make their set more special to make up for the newly non-exclusive nature of their set.

Strato is far from the reason I'm coming, but they just did a good job of making sure I'd be watching their set.

:lol: I could go for some poutine.

I am really surprised at the lack of Toronto, however. Wouldn't you be, considering it's typically a better market than Montreal?

Hmm... Always thought Quebec was the bigger market as there's usually 2 shows in the province. Ottawa has historically been the place bands skip over.

Hmm... Always thought Quebec was the bigger market as there's usually 2 shows in the province. Ottawa has historically been the place bands skip over.

QC is a pretty terrible market. Promoters are super stingy (since turnouts aren't very good compared to Montreal), and there's a general lack of promoters there compared to Toronto. Not sure if these dates were put on through a national promoter like Union. I'm guessing either they got a big offer for Montreal and this was an additional date for less but it justifies the trek into Canada and all the annoying border BS the band will have to deal with.

Interesting. I wonder if they'll go so far as to break out some pre-Kotipelto stuff. Probably not. But it would be cool to hear some early 90s material that they haven't played in a decade or more, heh.

QC is a pretty terrible market. Promoters are super stingy (since turnouts aren't very good compared to Montreal), and there's a general lack of promoters there compared to Toronto.

Quite a surprising statement. For a much smaller city than Montreal, sometimes there are bigger crowds in Quebec City for metal shows. I still remember around 2000 people in 2002 for Dio in Quebec City and less than 1000 people in Montreal the day after. I was at both shows. And it didn't happen only once.

Surely there are less promoters here than in Toronto though, and it's quite normal if you compare the populations...

That's what I was hoping for, too. So many great songs there, and they get overlooked.

Agreed. I can understand that they'd rather focus on newer stuff, since no one currently in the band appeared on those early discs, and those weren't the band's most popular material anyway. But they are essentially the custodians of that old material at this point, so they could play it if they wanted to. Actually though, it looks like I have to take back my initial comment... I just checked setlist.fm, and was surprised to see that they apparently added "Hands Of Time" to their setlist for the last leg of their tour late last year. It looks like they've only played it at shows in Finland so far, but hopefully they'll break it out at ProgPower as well.