STRATOVARIUS: Nemesis

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
From http://www.bravewords.com/news/194888 :

earMUSIC recently announced the release of Nemesis, the new studio album by STRATOVARIUS, to hit the stores as standard 11-track edition as well as 13-track special edition on February 22nd, 2013. The album artwork can now be seen below:

p17dlmarrl1okjvu2v531ndcro64.png

Nemesis will include the following tracklisting:

'Abandon'
'Unbreakable'
'Stand My Ground'
'Halcyon Days'
'Fantasy'
'Out Of The Fog'
'Castles In The Air'
'Dragons'
'One Must Fall'
'If The Story Is Over'
'Nemesis'

A sample of the track 'Unbreakable' can be heard below:

To shorten the waiting period for the album, January 25th finds the release of the limited edition EP, Unbreakable. It features five songs: the new album leading track 'Unbreakable' and a selection of four songs from previous albums, remastered by Mika Jussila. Songs like 'Falling Star' (taken from Polaris) and 'Freedom' (taken from Infinite) show a different, catchy side of Stratovarius and guide the way to the new masterpiece Nemesis.

More detail at the link above...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like that clip. Sounds catchy and I can see myself singing that frequently. That EP doesn't sound that interesting (not a fan usually of already released things) but I'm interested in the album for sure. I enjoyed the last two, but they didn't blow me away. This has potential.

Clip was promising enough.
I really dug Polaris.
The last one was only so-so.
One of those albums where afterwards, there are only a few memorable tracks.

I hope they pick up the pace, so to speak, on the new one.

The artwork blows the past couple away too!

love it! cant wait for the new record! cant wait to see this over and over again in march!

I think the artwork is really cool \m/

Rocket ships, columns of fire erupting from the sky, and naked redheads with wings and swords!? I'm in!!!

Heh, seriously though... both the imagery and the sample clip suggest it's going to be some straight-ahead melodic euro power metal... which is just fine with me.

Clip was promising enough.
I really dug Polaris.
The last one was only so-so.
One of those albums where afterwards, there are only a few memorable tracks.

I hope they pick up the pace, so to speak, on the new one.

The artwork blows the past couple away too!

I agree. Polaris was good, but the last one was just plain bland!

~Brian~

First actual review of "Nemesis" posted on-line by blackwindmetal.com

The guy seems to be hyped as hell about the new Strato release... LOL! Still got to wait for another week until I can tell whether I'll agree with him :) Halcyon Days and the short clips do sound very promising indeed.

STRATOVARIUS Release 'Halcyon Days' Video

Finland's STRATOVARIUS have released their new video, for the Nemesis album track, 'Halcyon Days'. The footage for 'Halcyon Days' was shot in Lithuania by Pekka Hara, and perfectly captures the song’s theme of finding one’s peace of mind. At once aggressive and sinister in its almost techno-influenced stormy moments, the chorus and bridge of 'Halcyon Days' reflects serenity with its hopeful and powerful melody. Referring to a legend that there were seven days of peace in the midst of a stormy season, the song also features this quiet moment of passing through the eye of the storm.

The band explains: “It was a really nice experience working with Pekka and his team, and Lithuania was a pleasant surprise, very friendly people there and everything worked out great. This video sets the mood of the song perfectly. And the fact is: a band is nothing without the fans."

Watch below:

Last edited by a moderator:
obligatory "OMG I cant wait to see this live in just a little over a week!!!!" But seriously, very stoked on this record. I really like it. ALOT

So I gave this disc a spin for various reasons that I won't bore you guys with, but my original opinion of Stratovarius was that I always thought it was cheesy and riffless nonsense. Imagine my surprise when I queued this record up on Spotify! Many of the songs reminded me more of Symphony X than galloping power chords draped in cheesy keyboards. There are actually riffs! Good ones at that! Not to mention, the songs are catchy and well arranged. And special props to the keyboard/electronic section too! He does alot of really cool stuff in there that you don't hear too often in heavy music that I felt was super refreshing. It, dare I say, actually sounds like a solid metal album!!! I'm not sure what caused Stratovarius to change its style so drastically, but I'll take it! Their singer is still in my honest opinion, the weak (putting it mildly) link, but I feel like he's not so horrible that it turns me off from listening to this album either. Definitely something I'm willing to spin again!

I really do enjoy being surprised by bands that I'm not a fan of. Similarly, I was never huge into Soilwork but I am really really into their new one as well!