Strictly Subtractive EQ vs Subtractive AND Additive

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
So I have been wondering lately what would achieve a better, clearer, punchier mix.

The way I have been mixing EQ is primarily subtractive, but then I would add a slight boost where the "sweet spot" is.

But that's Subtractive AND Additive EQ.

Lets say I want the EQ lines highest peak to be 0.0.

Try and follow me here.
We have a 4 band EQ, and it's at -2.5 @ 600hz, and +2.5 @ 2000hz. HP and LP are on, but they don't matter right now.
Would it make sense to decrease it to -5.0 @600HZ, and 0.0 @2000hz?

And if I did that to EVERY EQ in the entire song, would my mix be clearer and cleaner?
Would it lose that extra punch and dimension the little bit of additive gave it? Or will it not matter since all the OTHER EQs have been lowered as well?

(I'm on my laptop but when I'm at the studio, if you need it, I can try and post samples)

well, 600 doesn't divide into 2000 nicely - so you would be boosting different harmonics by a different amount.

I don't quite understand what you meant there, could you explain further?

And to help you beter answer the question I was using those numbers as an example.

Let's say, for the sake of the argument, 800hz and 2400hz.

only subtractive eq will more or less force you to get the recorded tones up to being top notch before mixing anything, its maybe a pretty effective creative tool

I'm only guessing but it seems like different eqs will react differently so what works for one plug or hardware unit may not work for the other. Just use your ears, I think a -2.5 at 600 and +2.5 and 2000 would be different to -5 at 600 and flat at 2000.

Plus different plugs hves different q's when opened to default and that is why you want more than one eq. Trying to tailor all the qs and bands from scratch was my biggest eq problem, now I just try a few different plugs and try and use the default bands and settings as much as possible, and only adjust once I really fine tuning. And you need to listen to fine tune, you cant just follow a black and white rule

Cut first, boost second... Most of the time.

+1 to greyskull

When you're trying to fix masking problems you should cut.
When the tracks are in balance you can emphasize tracks to make them sound better, while still avoiding masking issues.

The problem with boosting is that it increases noise, subtracting will not increase noise. Subtract as much as possible and only boost if you really need too. But no matter what, do what sounds good.

+1 to greyskull

When you're trying to fix masking problems you should cut.
When the tracks are in balance you can emphasize tracks to make them sound better, while still avoiding masking issues.

What do you mean by masking issues?

all this shit is crazy besides what greyskull said.... its MUSIC.

do whatever sounds good! boost, cut, HP, LP compress to all fuckery.... fuck it!!!!

get the right-side of your brain FLYINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

i've been looking at mixing and recording in general more and more like an artist painting something...

there's so many analogies that just WORK.

for ME, boosting is like adding a nice splash of color or doing something that ENHANCES my painting, while cutting would be more like trying to 'mask' undesirable aspects of the painting or fuck ups...... =D

all this shit is crazy besides what greyskull said.... its MUSIC.

This is my take on it. I had a rather lengthy writeup on the topic which I posted to another forum relating willingness to over-EQ in the mix vs. someone's experience level, but instead what it boils down to is that you should do what sounds best given your circumstances.

Is there really a difference between cutting a boosting?

It seems to me that boosting is the same thing as raising the overall volume and cutting some frequencies to their original volume. Cutting, on the other hand, would be the same as boosting some frequencies, and then lowering the overall volume so that the boosted frequencies are back to their original volume. From that perspective, there is no difference between them. Of course, I might be missing something...