Heavy Guitars: Low Mids - EQ or Multiband

Darkening

May 15, 2007
I've always used subtractive EQ on guitar tracks to clean up the low mids, but I've recently started using the Sonalksis CQ1 to compress them instead of using EQ. I use just a couple dB of reduction, and I think it sounds quite a bit better than using EQ in this case.

I did a lot of A/B listening over the weekend, and every time I preferred the multiband taking off 1-2dB compared to the EQ doing the same.

It feels like using the multiband helps keep the meat of the low mids intact without being overpowering, whereas using EQ just removes it. The multiband leaves the guitars sounding more natural to me.

How do you clean up the low mids on guitars in hard rock and metal?

I've always used subtractive EQ on guitar tracks to clean up the low mids, but I've recently started using the Sonalksis CQ1 to compress them instead of using EQ. I use just a couple dB of reduction, and I think it sounds quite a bit better than using EQ in this case.

I did a lot of A/B listening over the weekend, and every time I preferred the multiband taking off 1-2dB compared to the EQ doing the same.

It feels like using the multiband helps keep the meat of the low mids intact without being overpowering, whereas using EQ just removes it. The multiband leaves the guitars sounding more natural to me.

How do you clean up the low mids on guitars in hard rock and metal?

A lot of us here do it the same way...the C4 is the multi-comp of choice here

either or really, but the c4 is an awesome plugin, does the job really well. i use the urs eqs sometimes, but most of the time end up with the c4. +1 on the c4..

Makes sense that a comp works way better than eq. Usually you dont want to generally take away the low mids. You just want to tame them so that palm mutes and other bassy stuff dosn't muddy up the mix or get too loud.