Keeping the bass at a consistent volume on all notes

AllanD

boom tap boom-boom tap
Jul 2, 2008
Houston
I'm doing the limit the low end/distort the mids and high end trick, but there are still some notes that are a lot louder than others. I'm limiting the bass pretty hard, and I'm also using multiband/EQ on the 150-300 area which seems to be where the notes "pop" more.

I assumed it was my lack of room treatment, but in all the professional mixes I hear this issue doesn't exist. Tips? Tricks?

Volume Automation. Also try listening to the track before processing and determine if there are problematic spots in the dynamics. Big peaks, weak notes etc. and try to use either clip gain or volume automation to get the bass somewhat consistent before apply compression or limiting. I've heard Waves Bass Rider is also decent for that instant automation thing, but I've never tried it.

One thing I never fully grasped was: How do you guys determine how many dB to automate up/down?

I'm using REAPER, and while volume automation is quite simple, I always wondered if there was a way to measure or determine the exact amount of dB's needed to boost/duck.

I normally tend to use 2 comps in series along with something like W1 and it seems to even everything out on bass pretty decently.

One thing I never fully grasped was: How do you guys determine how many dB to automate up/down?

I'm using REAPER, and while volume automation is quite simple, I always wondered if there was a way to measure or determine the exact amount of dB's needed to boost/duck.

I normally tend to use 2 comps in series along with something like W1 and it seems to even everything out on bass pretty decently.

I have found increments of 2-3dB to be a good starting point. Adjust from there.

How ever many db's it takes to get the sound where you want. Honestly Protools 10 Clip gain is the shit for getting tracks where they need to be before processing and riding.

If I recall correctly the compressor plugin on amplitube worked pretty well one time I had this problem on a live recording.

That's a frequent issue for bass, and inconsistencies in room treatment/ speakers can make it confusing. Sometimes it helps to do this with headphones if you're in a crappy room that might have an unusual spike/ dip in the lows.

I usually start with small amounts of eq if its only one or two notes that are sticking out. If you have a consistent bass player (probably the most important!) that will help a lot. Other than that, just automate the volume up and down. pull it down 2 db. Then listen. It's all going to be dependent on the program material!

IIRC Ermz's mixing guide delved into this issue pretty well...

How ever many db's it takes to get the sound where you want. Honestly Protools 10 Clip gain is the shit for getting tracks where they need to be before processing and riding.

Is the clip gain in PT 10 different from using the Audiosuite gain plug-in on specific regions? (PT 7.4.2 BTW) I use this all the time to even stuff out before processing. (on a new playlist of course. I learned the hard way to make a new playlist for any track that needs destructive editing).

Are you guys comping/limiting before hitting amp sim/IR loader for bass? Or comp/limit at the end of the chain?

Little before, little after. I like the way the distortion/saturation/etc reacts to the signal better when it has been squashed into place a bit. Sometimes adding a limiter after the distortion as well.

Yes, Protools 10 clip gain is much easier and more visual. You literally just grab a piece of audio and adjust the volume.

Are you guys comping/limiting before hitting amp sim/IR loader for bass? Or comp/limit at the end of the chain?

I don't use an amp sim for the low end. It's just the DI's low end.

automation, no other way around it. You can smash it to hell and back but it will still be there albeit less noticeable. No cutting corners

Feck, I didn't even know that EVERYONE was doing this. Shit.

Yup, either Bass rider or clip gaining (reaper - take volume envelope) or automatization. If you use clip gaining it is easy (at least in reaper) to know how much you need by watching waveform size... but first of all you know it BY EAR!!!

+ 1

I've started to duplicate the basstrack, limit the hell out of one and keeping the other one just slightly compressed. Then you can get some feel to it and still make sit perfect in the mix.

i REALLY fucking like this idea. i've never thought or tried of parallel bass in this fashion.

was never a fan of the 'LETS SPLIT THE BASS TO 3 TRACKS AND TREAT EACH ONE DIFFERENTLY SO WE HAVE PERFECT CONTROL.

Just give me a DI and I'll handle the rest, haha. I ALWAYS get better results w/bass tones using a single, flat file. I like the interactions of the low-end, mids, high mids and NASTY highs....

just makes more sense to me.

but as always, that's only IMO and YMMV! =D