Stringing up ye old Bass guitar

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So I broke a string during rehearsal last week, and was going to get new strings and get it set up properly anyway cause I've got an important gig in 4 weeks. but I don't know jack shit about strings, I don't know why, I never cared about it or was too busy learning other things or whatever, but now I want to get seriously picky with my strings just like I am with everything else. So could anyone help me out on choosing some good quality strings for my bass?

My bass is a Strinberg Clb-25, I can't find an official pic with the color I have (the strinberg site only has my model in black), so I'll post a pic of me playing it doing a funny face just for the fun of it. and if anyone is interested, here's the link to the specs http://www.strinberg.com/products/electric_basses/clb25.php

l_bb832ff6a7364ff9a9883df9305d80a3.jpg

I will set i up to A tuning (all strings 1 tone down) because the band I have the gig with tunes guitars in D so I tune A and don't use the 5th string at all (don't like going lower on that band, prefer to stay on the octave), the other band I have will not have any gigs for some time (tune in B), and I do have a couple important recordings tuned in B coming up, but in the end I could just use a Capo if tuning one tone higher for the recording presents too much of an intonation issue.

Any recommendations on what brand and gauge I could get?

I use d'adarrio steels on all of my basses. I flirted with the DR stuff for a while but I found they broke more easily, cost a lot more and the sound wasn't appreciably better. YMMV.

Those too. I'd have to say out of all the brands I've tried (Dean Markley, D'Addario, DR, Rotosound, Elixir, Ernie Ball) I liked the D'Addario Prosteels and DR Lo-Riders the best.

I use D'Addario in my F-205. I haven't tried many brands to compare them to, but I've liked them better than the Warwick red and yellow ones, the GHS's and Ernie Ball. I'd go with 50's or even 55's for tuning a step down. I tune a whole step down too, except I drop my 4th string to a C. Sometimes 55's are not as easy to get, tho, so I'm getting 50's myself.

What scale lenght does your bass have?

What scale lenght does your bass have?

Really I can't be positive cause the site doesn't specify (I think it used to, the new design says less stuff, maybe cause it's still under construction), but I'm almost sure it's 35", it's not extra big or anything, looks pretty standard. I'm a small dude so it would be kinda weird for me with a bigger scale

Hahahahaahahah, great pic Dan :lol: And yeah, I'm loving D'addario ProSteels on my Jazz bass, thanks for the rec Egan! :headbang:

I would say at least a .135 for your lowest of whatever strings you want (I preffer plain jane XL Nickel Round Wounds), assuming you are a 35" scale.

Really I can't be positive cause the site doesn't specify (I think it used to, the new design says less stuff, maybe cause it's still under construction), but I'm almost sure it's 35", it's not extra big or anything, looks pretty standard. I'm a small dude so it would be kinda weird for me with a bigger scale

Measure from the nut to the 12th fret, then multiply that by 2 and you have your scale length. If it's a 34" I definitely wouldn't go below .135 for the low A. 35" you could probably get away with a .130 for the A.