Bass Strings!

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Hey everybody I was wondering If anyone could suggest a few types of Bass Strings for Metal I tune to CGCF and I just wanted to hear some suggestions so I can go check them out with out Buying 200 dollars worth of strings thanks guys! I dunno if it matters But I play A Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 String.

DR High Beams.....won't play anything else. They retain their tone longer than anything else I've tried in the last 20 years.

For that tuning, get the heaviest gauge 4-string set you can.

Honestly, who cares? 4-string bas = whatever brand 100 gauge. 5-string = whatever brand 125 gauge. If you want more growl = thinner gauge, but flubbier if you downtune. I fyou pound the fucker and tune down to A, use 130 gauge.

Brand? *brplglbllblblb*

Power Slinky's are my choice atm, will probably be going for D'Addario once I stop playing my Corvette $$. Any half decent strings will do. Though the best for recording tone I've found are either BRAND new EB's or week old DR's.

Fuck boomers I fucking hate them. They are the only strings that have every broken on me.

D'Addario XL Nickel or Power Slinkies for me. I'm always happy with the Fender strings when I've used them.
My new Ibanez came with some type of Elixer strings, they were really good, starting to die now after a couple months. Yes months, not days/hours.

I use to use the GHS boomers, but they freaking go dull on me quicker than any other string I've used. I've busted every Dean Markley brand string I've tried (also only set to snap while being strung up!). Right now I'm on the Ernie Ball Power Slinky (.110) on my 4-string. Nice sound, and they take a beating. Haven't had one bust on me yet, they seem to go a good length before dulling out too.

For a full distorted-mid-crunchy sound I think Elixirs are hard to beat. It may be something about their coating, as they have a very present midrange as opposed to the more "hi-fi" sound that, for instance, DRs have.

My bassist has always used them ... when he bought his new Spector Legend Custom (4 strings tuned to C#), it came stock with DRs ... it sounded great clean, but kinda shrill with distortion, and the crunch didn't cut on a band situation (sounded just like a clean bass behind the guitar wall) ... soon he swapped them for his trustworthy Elixirs, and voilà, the crunch was back! (we mainly use heavily distorted bass, being a 1 guitar band).

just my 0.00000002 cents