Recording with Coated Guitar Strings..

plisken

Metal Keyboardist
Apr 23, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys!

Just wanted to get some opinions on this. My guitarist uses the D'addario EXP strings and was wondering if the same rule still applies to them as other strings when record? I know in general you wanna change the strings ever 8 hours to have the best results right? Well he is telling me that apparently the coating on these strings make the tone last 4 times longer then regular strings? Anyone try them before? Does it mean he can go an entire day of recording (like 14 hours) without needing to re-string?

8 hours is a little short, in my opinion. Changing them every 24 hrs will do just right. I´ve had some experience with coated strings, especially with Elixier Nanoweb strings (0.70). But, that aside, i think they don´t last 3-5 times longer than other strings (which is written on the pack). I´ve had my coated strings on for about 2 weeks now (playing atleast 4-5 hours/day). Even though i clean the strings with a cloth after playing, there are light stains of rust forming, already.
To cut to the chase, i think they´re really good strings, but i guess it´s more of a marketing thing that they last longer etc.

EDIT: Stick with Ernie Ball or D´addario ;)

Yeah those are the 2 my guitarist uses. Personally I like D'addario a lithe more but they are both awesome. I actually can't wait to see what the Ernie Ball M-Steel are like. Wonder when they will release those.

Ohhhhh yes! I´m so stoked on those strings. I love grabbing a handful of stringpacks to go through and abuse the shit out of.