Opinion on Elixir strings or coated competitors

There are two types of Elixir coated strings, I prefer the Nanoweb over the Polyweb. From my point of view, I play guitar less often than I ever have so getting strings that will last on my guitars is important. I think if I were recording my guitars now, I'd go for a set of D'addarios, but for gigs, I'd stick with the Elixirs.

The Cleartones look interesting, I need new strings for my basses, so they might be in with a shout.

Used Elixirs for years and never had a complaint, although the gap between 056 and 068 is a big one, and for my taste there's not really a string thick enough for a low F#. So I recently bought a few D'addario and DR sets to try out.

The DR were complete ass; my recent set (I bought three sets, this was the second) went to the bin right away, as three wound strings from their 8-string set were faulty and wouldn't intonate at all. I mean, no matter how much I moved the saddle to either direction, the intonation was off by like 20 cents flat on the 12th fret. That, and the 12th fret harmonic and open string weren't in tune with each other (still unclear on how it's even possible), so I suppose the string core was broken or something. I left the DR 075 for the low F# and replaced the other strings with some spare Elixirs I had. The F# is already way more dead than the other strings, even though I've only tracked with the guitar for about a songs worth.

The D'addario sets were pretty good, but especially since my frets are stainless steel, I wore them out really quickly. That, and the low F# string in the 8-string set is too short for my fanned fret 8, so it wasn't usable. Shame, since their 7 & 8-string sets have the smartest gauges.

Really interested in the Cleartones, they're just not really available here and don't seem to have many extended range options, so I'll wait. Replacing strings all the time is a pain in the ass. I'll deal with a slightly deader tone all day if it lasts longer, until some string manufacturer finally realises that they should just send me endless packs of strings for free :lol:

@jeid : that is exactly my thought ! I can't stand having to restring the instrument every other week, I have a fanned guitar with elixirs and the strings are still just fine even after a few months, and some occasional playing. My main guitar in d'addario has needed 2 if not 3 sets in the meantime. My problem with d'addario is that they die so fast with me, and especially the G string sounds so bad it's not usable. I wonder if the fact I play with light gauges does not help ? Maybe vibrating stronger helps removing the junk from the strings ? After all, if you pull the strings very hard, it helps clean them, so maybe the actual usage had an effect as well ?

Anyway I have ordered a couple D'addario, Elixir, and Cleartone to do a massive test to find my perfect gauge as well as doing a big shoutout between the three in terms of pure sound quality. In fact I wanna find my own sweet spot in terms of guitar tension to finally put on number of what I feel sounds and feels best, and determine my perfect sets of strings for the different tunings.

I ordered them on http://anthillmusic.com after asking the company where they distribute it. There was one in spain but the website sucked so much ass I ended up buying them there.

I agree, the big problem with Elixir is the lack of heavy sets. The cleartone have a specific line of "heavy" sets. They advertise them as "Drop C" etc which I find is a bit on the heavy side (using the d'addario calculations). So I'm gonna try the C# set in C standard, and the C set in B standard.

The D'addario sound very good indeed, but for a short period of time, that's their problem (at least for soloing without sounding like a bunch of bees). I wanna see how good the cleartone ones sound compared to them and see if they are a viable permanent replacement, or if they are good only for casual play and if d'addario still sound best for serious recording. I'll do a shootout with a DI into my apogee so hopefully we could see how they compare with the d'addario, and the elixirs.

@ze kink : what is your problem with the offer of cleartones, don't they have 7 strings sets ? Or don't they offer single strings so you could buy a 7 set + add an 8th ?

I'm a big fan of both D'addarios and Elixirs. Here's my preference list.

E-guitars in drop-B:
1)D'addario XL Nickel 11-56, oh I'm loving, LOVING it!). Sometimes with additional coated 0.20 for a G-string and 0.60 for the lowest string.
2)Elixir Nanoweb, 11-49 + 56 or 12-52 +56. A big drawback with Elixirs is that they have a gap between 56 and 68 calibres. I'd love to use something like 59 or 60.

E-guitars in drop-C#:
1)D'addario XL Nickel 10-52 on 24.75 scales, 9-46 + additional 0.49 on 25.5 scales.
2)Elixir Nanoweb, same scales.

Basses (I'm using too many different tunings to name them all):
1)Dean Markley Blue Steel. Amazing strings, oh I love them. I even love them when they go dark, they still roar in a vintage way.
2)DR Hi-Beam. Very nice strings, and they're nice on fingertips.
3)D'addario XL Nickel for brighter basses or for non-metal styles of playing and D'addario ProSteels for metal.
4)Elixirs at Summer when I just want to rehearse a lot without becoming paranoid. Also for recording bass players who have chemically active sweat.

Acoustic guitars:
Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 bronze. I actually love them more then any other uncoated strings. Plus, they're not that creaky on chord changes.

I've noticed that Elixirs sound best when not too tight. I mean, if you're a guy who doesn't like super-thick gauges and tight tensions (like me), you'll probably enjoy them. Plus, I've noticed that Elixirs tend to intonate a little better then any other brands. Especially on bass (meaning, the thicker the string, the more you'll notice it).

Speaking of coating as of something preventing strings from vibrating freely and fully, I'd bring up a counterargument: after an hour, sometimes less with some really sweaty-handed musicians, the strings are coated with their sweat and epithelium, and that coating is a much, much bigger problem. So, when I know that there may be a problem with sweat, especially for bass players, I set their instruments up with Elixirs for recording. Otherwise it's D'addario for e-gtrs, D'addario, DR or Dean Markley Blue Steel for basses and Elixirs for acoustic guitars.

Tried Cleartones several times and to me the heavier gauges sounded a bit dull and rough. Thin gauges (9-42, 9-46) were cool. But that's a question of taste, I believe.

Thanks for that post ! I actually just did calculation myself, here was my conclusion, although I need to actually try that sort of tensions because I'm a light-string player myself, but I'm trying to go up a scale to have better intonation and reactibility of the strings. I tried aiming at light/medium tensions on high strings, and at least medium on low strings for riffing.

Here were my notes :

Code:
TUNINGS ====== in 25.5

@ E standard = 10-46
(E) EXL110

@ Drop D (DADGBE) = 10-46 
(E)+52/54 EXL110

@ D standard = 11-52
DA - 11-52 EXL116 "Med Top Heavy Bottom »

@ Drop C (CGCFAD) = 11-52 
DA - 11-52+60/62 EXL116 «Med Top Heavy Bot »

@ C standard 
DA - 12-60 EXL148 « Extra Heavy »
CT - 12-60 DropC#

@ B standard = 13-70
CT - 13-70 DropC
Elixir - Baritone 12-68

@ CGCGCE (open C)
DA - EXL140 10-52 « Light Top Heavy Bottom »
CT - 10-52 nickel "Light Top Heavy Bottom"
with an extra 60 it would be better because the lower string is actually at 13lb

@ Open B = 10-52 or 11-56 with extra 70
DA - EXL117 medium top heavy bottom
Elixir - Baritone 12-68

13-70 (Cleartone)
====
13-17-22-42-56-70

24.5 reduces all by about 1 or 2 lb max

Hi, I dont if there are coated but what do you think about the Dunlop heavy core?

Just when I was starting to get very heavy in Xcode programming and (simple) mathematics :p

Thanks for the link Don, I'll have a look. Your strings are my favorite and your link reminded me I might just add the d'addario EXP140 (10-52 coated) to my shootout anyway, I'll order a pack. I actually don't know why I never even tried it since i've been using the nickel wound 10-52 for years now.

I have received a package with cleartones and elixirs and will compare old d'Addario vs fresh d'Addario then Elixir then ClearTones. It might take a month or so as I am gonna be in holidays away from my guitar. Or I might actually take it with me for the sole purpose of making my strings rust like crazy before I re-string them hehe ! For what it's worth, the ClearTone guys were very helpful with their answers, and because it took some time for me to figure out how to order strings in spain (which in fact I did from US in the end) and I also placed a second order (therefore paying double shipment) they sent me some goodies. I really don't think they had time to read here nor make the link between my post in here and my order, so nice move from them !

I got a few answers, like Ernie balls, who are happy to provide info on a specific chart, so I might ask them the 10-52 charts on C standard just so I can know if the d'Addario charts can pretty much be considered "generic" when it comes to nickel wound. I spent a great deal on them, and I noticed a few things, like bass strings pretty much all have the same characteristics, and that usually chrome strings are heavier. It's all very subtle though.

I have no idea about the Dunlop. I have never used heavy core strings either. I just personally know my own personal path when I started was
- Elixir from scratch (they actually lasted long, long enough until I knew enough about guitar to be able to restring it !)
- Then Dean Markley, didn't like even tough i was new to guitar, I already didn't feel them
- Then Ernie Balls for some time, but they really didn't last long usually and I broke several of them
- Then D'Addario and I have been happy with them since then. I am just really willing to give a try to coated strings for pure casual player convenience !